Friday, November 18, 2016

{Recipe} Bell Pepper Risotto: {Oil & Gluten Free}

I made this risotto for my book club last month and promised to share the recipe with you guys.
The recipe is based on this one but I made mine oil and gluten free as well as vegan. It was still really good! #shocker   I made it again to photograph it and turns out, it's an easy weeknight dinner!
 Ingredients:
(6-8 servings)
8 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 large onion, diced
2 bell peppers (red, yellow or orange), diced
1 3/4 cup arborio rice 
3/4 cup dry white wine
salt to taste
1/2 tsp tumeric (optional)
 To Make:
Bring broth to simmer in a medium pot on the stove.  Heat some water or broth in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add diced onions and cook for about 2 minutes until translucent.
Add diced peppers and cook 8-10 minutes, adding more water/broth to keep from sticking to pot.  
 Add uncooked rice and stir for a minute or so to coat the rice with the pepper/onion mixture.  
Pour in wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc) and cook for a minute or two.  (You can skip the wine and just start adding broth if you prefer.)
Start adding heated broth a cup and half at a time, stir gently and allow to be absorbed completely by the rice. Turn heat down to medium.  Repeat for 25-30 minutes until rice is al dente. You might not use all of the broth.  This last step may sound a bit labor intensive, but it's really not bad..just carry on with making the rest of you dinner, checking on the rice/broth and adding more broth as needed.
When the rice is done, take the pot off of the heat and add a little more liquid. Stir in the optional tumeric (gives it beautiful color and a little kick of spice) and salt if needed.
Serve and enjoy. You can add some Parmesan cheese if you like.
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I haven't had risotto in YEARS! I need to make some this winter!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This looks like a delicious dinner - and something I can make ahead while I'm busy this upcoming week! Thanks for sharing - you know I ALWAYS love your recipes!

Have a great weekend my friend!

Clairejustine oxox said...

I love risotto, yous looks and sounds so tasty Heather :) Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop ..

Carla from The River said...

Pinning!! I always enjoy your recipes as well. :-)

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks for sharing. I adore risotto and this recipe looks like a keeper.


Lisa x

Jessica Pelasky said...

This sounds so amazing!! :)

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails