Wednesday, August 10, 2016

{Travel} Jim Thorpe & Williamsport, PA


Here's another installment of my "Staycation Summer Series".  We got to visit Jim Thorpe and Williamsport, PA recently. After dropping Miss High School off for her week away, we were determined to see more of the area we had been driving through.

On our way up I entertained myself with Snapchat in the car.  I brought my portable breakfast of overnight oats.
 Our first stop was the charming town of Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.
 We walked around and took in some of the sights.  The historic Inn at Jim Thorpe looks like it would be a fun place to stay.
We only had one day to visit but I definitely want to go back to take the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway sometime.
 This was a cute B & B in town.
 Hooven Mercantile Co. is actually Big Creek Vineyard & Winery tasting room.
 

I thought their signs were pretty clever (and effective).
We had to try some of their wine.
 

We preferred the whites here.
 The train station is the hub of the town.
 We stopped for lunch at Molly Maguire's Pub & Steakhouse.  I had a salad with this huge baked potato topped with mushrooms and onions.
This was my favorite store. Photos weren't allowed inside but it was full of funny greeting cards and other stationery paper products.  I loved the decor too.  You can see their stuff here.
 

We grabbed some coffee before heading to Williamsport. I got a dirty chai latte with almond milk. It's a chai latte with a shot of espresso.
In a few hours we got to Williamsport and checked into our hotel.   This was my going out to dinner look.
On our way to dinner we passed this amazing 600 foot urban mural.
 It's called Inspiration Lycoming by the artist Michael Pilato (I had to look it up when we got home).
We spent a lot of time exploring the mural that features notable and inspiring people from Williamsport and Lycoming county.

  One of the walls of the mural was the restaurant where we were having dinner.
 

We had dinner at the Bullfrog Brewery.  We started out sharing some tofu wings and I had the veggie chili salad with grilled tempeh.  Both were delish!




 

After dinner we walked around downtown Williamsport.
 Williamsport is famous for holding the Little League World Series.
Walking around town...
 The city was pretty quiet that night.
 

More shots from downtown Williamsport.   I want lights like this over our deck!! The Cell Block is a nightclub inside the old Lycoming County Prison.   It was still operating as a prison until 1982.
Breakfast in the morning at the hotel-oatmeal with mango sauce, dried cranberries, raisins and walnuts. Yum!
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

10 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Love these shares! Looks like the perfect staycations destination with loads of good sites and yummy eats! I want a potato topped with mushrooms and onions now! Yum!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Heather,
Great photos!! I LOVE Jim Thorpe but it has been some years since I have been there because I have been putting off a knee replacement for a few years and trying to put it off a bit longer until I can retire.So doing a lot of walking is not in my future for right now....
I have never been to Williamsport but being a lover of Victorian style, I would love to go there some day after my knee surgery.
I am now following you where ever i can and added you to my Blog Roll. My Blog was hacked so I had to start a whole new one in June.....
So happy to meet you!!
Hugs,
Deb

Tamar SB said...

I would love to explore a small town like this! What fun!!

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

Love the travel pics and scrolled down and saw the TJ pizza dough. I have had my eye on that for awhile. I need to get it next time!
laura

Mitzi Rice said...

Oh goodness....a 600 ft mural! How awesome is that!

Clairejustine oxox said...

Lovely pictures Heather. I would love to explore around here :) Yummy food!! I need to lose some weight, my white jeans don't fit no more! Yours look great!! Thanks for linking up..

Carla from The River said...

I always enjoy your traveling with you.
Cute outfit!
Carla

Sharon said...

What a fun outing! I love that old mercantile building and the railway especially. Staycations can be so rejuvenating!

Jessica Pelasky said...

I have been here! Isn't it such a neat little town?? We ate at the Molly Maguires pub. :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

This looks like a nice place to visit as I've never been there. Thanks Heather for sharing this at C&C with J&J. Enjoy today and the weekend. :)
Julie

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails