Wednesday, August 3, 2016

{Recipe} Easy Bean Burgers - Vegan and Oil Free

Lately I've been experimenting with homemade veggie burgers.  I like knowing exactly what's in them and keeping the ingredients as healthy as possible while not sacrificing taste.
These Easy Bean Burgers could also be called Pantry Burgers because they can be made almost completely out of things from your pantry.  You could whip these up on a busy weeknight because you probably have all of the ingredients on hand.  Meatless Monday or any day of the week.
 Let's get to the recipe, shall we?
Easy Bean Burgers:
{makes about 7 burgers}
1-2 cans of beans (I prefer 2 cans and one of them should be kidney beans for their 'meatier' texture)
1 cup dried oats (use gluten free oats if needed)
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4-1/2 cup sauce of choice (salsa, tomato sauce, ketchup or a combo of them all)
Seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, organic no-salt seasoning, salt & pepper
 Start by rinsing and draining the beans well (until no more bubbles appear on the beans).
Put the beans in a bowl and mash with a potato masher (you can also use a food processor but just be careful not to over process--you want some chunks).  Add the oats, rice and sauce(s). I used a combo of salsa, tomato sauce and ketchup.  Stir to combine.   Add seasonings, I used about 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, organic no-salt seasoning, salt & pepper. Stir in the seasonings.
Use your hands to form about 7 patties, you could get more or less depending on how big you make them. Cover the patties and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or more (this helps them firm up).
 I cooked mine on the panini press but they can be grilled, fried or baked as well. If you bake them, use a Silpat liner on your baking sheet or parchment paper to keep the burgers from sticking.
 The panini press kind of smushed my burgers and they turned out a bit flat but still flavorful.
I also cooked some in a skillet on the stove and they kept their burger shape better. Through trial and error, my favorite way to cook them is on our electric skillet. I still haven't tried the grill though. #summerfail Cook about 6 minutes per side being careful when flipping them, they are fragile and can fall apart.
 I had my burger on toasted Ezekial bread since we didn't have any hamburger buns.
Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!  They are also really good cold the next day in a salad or sandwich.

Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

7 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh yum!! I have my fav brand (which for me need to be gluten, soy, and egg free!) but costco is hit or miss ):

These look easy and I bet you can freeze the leftovers!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

These look like the PERFECT weeknight dinner and I love that you make them with common things in the pantry! Soon our lazy summer days will turn into hectic Fall days. I will definitely be making these! Can't wait!

Carla from The River said...

Oh my, another fun recipe. :-) Keep them coming.

Clairejustine oxox said...

Whoo these look yummy Heather !!

Creations By Cindy said...

Sending this recipe to a friend of mine that everything has to be gluten free for her. Wow! They look yummy! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, wow these look awesome. I will definitely have to make these as they look easy to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the week.
Julie

Jessica Pelasky said...

These sound so tasty!

Would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, and tips: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails