Friday, August 26, 2016

{Recipe} Mushroom Black Bean Burgers

Here's another burger recipe that I'm pretty excited about.  It's based on this recipe and is vegan, oil free and very tasty!
Not to be confused with my Easy Bean Burgers, which are an easy and delicious pantry burger. These burgers take a bit more work and use lots of fresh veggies in the mix...they are so worth it!  Note: They do contain mushrooms which give them a nice 'beefy' texture. If you're not a fan, you could probably sub in another similar veggie.  They don't taste like mushrooms because there are a lot of other flavors going on.
Mushroom Black Bean Burgers
Ingredients:
8 oz(about 9) of fresh mushrooms (I use Baby Bellas or button mushrooms)
1/2 carrot peeled (I use equivalent in baby carrots)
1/2 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of peeled garlic
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 TBS ketchup
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce (I use vegan)
2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups dried oats(not instant) + 1 cup dried oats, divided
To make:
Start by processing the mushrooms, red pepper, carrot, onion & garlic in a food processor.
Pulse into a uniform mixture. Put veggie mix into a large bowl.
Into the empty (don't need to clean first) food processor add the black beans, 1 1/2 cup of oats, rice, condiments and seasonings.  Pulse until you have a mostly smooth mix with a few chunks.
Add the bean mixture to the vegetable mix in the bowl.  Stir to combine.
Stir in the final 1 cup of dried oats and mix well.  Cover bowl and leave out on your counter for 30 minutes or so.
After 30 minutes, use an ice cream scoop to form mounds onto a baking sheet covered with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
Press the mounds down to form patties (I used the plastic lid of a wide mouth Mason jar-it works really well).  Put tray in freezer for at least 30 minutes.   Take out and store individual patties in sandwich bags, keep frozen until ready to cook.
I make mine on my electric griddle.  You can also bake them or fry in a non stick pan. Brown both sides and cook on low to make sure the inside gets cooked.  I usually make the whole batch and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
Put your burger together. I didn't have any hamburger buns so I used a toasted everything bagel.  I also added greens, tomatoes and a slice of Chao Coconut Herb vegan cheese. Divine!
Sooooo good!
The burgers are even good cold (once cooked).  We've put them on salads and used them in spaghetti sauce. I want to try a 'meatloaf' with this recipe. I think it would hold together well.
Enjoy your weekend! Have any fun plans for this almost-last-weekend-of-summer?
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

7 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yum!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

These look so good! I'm definitely making these. I think Riley would like them cold so these would be great for school lunch! Thank you!!!!

Carla from The River said...

I saw this on your IG ... thank you for sharing.

Clairejustine oxox said...

Whoo these look yummy Heather :) Thanks for linking up..

Pam Jackson said...

I have never made or even eaten these but I had a friend that made them and loved them. Might be in my future to make them. Thanks for sharing.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather,

I love all of your creative cooking ideas. This looks like another great recipe to try out! :)
Thanks for sharing each week at our Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the week.

Julie xo

Jessica Pelasky said...

This sounds tasty! :)

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails