Wednesday, May 11, 2016

{Tips & Tricks} Freezing Avocados-Step by Step Guide

Yes you can!  
What to do when all of your avocados ripen at the same time and no one is eating them?   Freeze them, of course! (I usually buy the family pack at Costo or the supermarket). All you need is some lemon juice, plastic wrap and a large zip top bag.
Start by cutting the avocados in half and removing the pit.  Do you do this trick with the knife to remove the pit?  Stick knife into pit then turn to remove. Easy!
 Remove avocado flesh from the skin. 
Place avocado on a piece of plastic wrap and squeeze some lemon juice on the pit side.
Flip the avocado half over and put some lemon juice on that side too.
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap following the contours of the avocado.
 Try and get all of the air bubbles out.
 Soon you'll have a nice stack of avocado shells like this.
Put all of the wrapped avocado halves into a large zip top bag and try to remove as much air as possible before closing.  Place bag in freezer. I put the bag on a cutting board in the freezer until they were frozen to keep them stable.  When ready to use, remove from freezer and defrost.  I'll keep you posted how they are working out!

Here's another handy tip for freezing tomato paste.  In case you missed it!
Let's keep in touch!

Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

SO COOL!! I usually only buy 2/3 at a time and plan meals around them, but this is genius!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Genius! I've NEVER done this but now I will! Such a handy too, thank you! :) I hope you guys are enjoying some beautiful Spring weather! I feel like it's finally here!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Heaher, I just saw this trick today on another blog. I never knew you could freeze avocados. What a great idea when buying in bulk! :)

Bliss said...

Pinned.

Fran Kitto said...

We use frozen avocado's for dips and Mexican dishes. Nice with some red onion and pinch chillies and all mashed up together.
Fran @travelgenee from the TravelGenee Blog

Carla from The River said...

Great idea!! Yes, please keep us posted on how you like them.
I am pinning. :-)
Carla

Jessica Pelasky said...

Wow...what a neat tip!

I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks Heather for sharing this tip at Cooking & Crafting with J & J. :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails