Friday, May 9, 2014

Tomato Paste Saver Tip/Trick

This genius tomato paste saver tip comes from Martha (who else?).  When I saw it, I knew I had to give it a try.  Most recipes only call for 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and then what do you do with the leftovers?  I've purchased tubes of tomato paste in the past but I think this idea is a thrifty alternative.
Carefully remove both ends of the tomato paste can and discard one of them, leaving the other in place. Wrap the can tightly in plastic wrap and freeze overnight.    
The next day remove the can from the freezer and push the frozen tomato paste out with the metal end. (Mine took a little thawing out with warm water over the covered can to get it to loosen up enough to come out.)
Martha's tip was to recover the frozen log and keep in the freezer, cutting off tomato paste as needed but I chose to slice mine up as evenly as possible.
 I wrapped each one and returned them all to the freezer (I had 10 but was using one).
Now I have perfectly portioned amounts of tomato paste when I need it!

Pin It

9 comments:

Karen said...

Why didn't I think of this! Thanks for sharing this.

Tamar SB said...

I seriously use this all the time! I also buy the tube too - love that thing.

Katie said...

THIS IS AMAZING!

I run into this problem all the time, and never know what to do. But none of my solutions are neat or clean or even helpful sometimes!

Thank you for sharing - I will definitely be using this tip!

camp and cottage living said...

Great tip, Heather.
Tell Martha thanks!

Creations By Cindy said...

Well sir! Who would have even THUNK IT! Love this! Thanks Heather.
Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Becky said...

Genius!

Jules said...

What a fantastic idea!!!!

Diana Petrillo said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Blessings,
Diana

The Charm of Home said...

Fantastic idea!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails