Thursday, May 26, 2016

{Get Crafty} American Flag Jar Luminaries

I miss crafting but I don't want to make something unless it's useful and practical for my life. These flag luminaries are an easy upcycle craft that only take a few household items to put together and I plan on using them all summer.  This weekend marks the unofficial start of summer and time for me to pull out my patriotic decor.  These are going to fit right in!
 You'll need:
 Jars-Pickle jars work well but I didn't have enough empty jars so I picked up a few at the thrift store for less than a dollar.  
Flags-I found a 4 pack at Walmart 
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Twine (optional)
Tea Lights
 Gently remove the flags from the sticks they are attached to. If you pull firmly but gently you can usually pull the staple out. I used a staple remover on the peskier ones.  You need to be careful not to rip the fabric.
 Apply Mod Podge to the jar and affix the flag to the jar.
 Cover flag and entire jar with Mod Podge.
 I did three coats on each jar, letting them dry in between.
 Add some twine around the top of the jars to up the rustic look. I added these large tea light from Ikea that burn for 9 hours.
 Pretty glow!
 They looked sweet up on the mantle.
 They also work outdoors on the deck steps.
 They will be perfect for all of the summer holidays.
 Such an easy and fun craft, cheap too!
Happy Early Memorial Day! We're heading up to College Girl's graduation for the weekend(so many emotions!!!).  See you back here on Tuesday!
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

9 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, your little flag lights are so cute. I love these type of crafts too that are fun to make and useful! I hope you have a nice holiday weekend. :) Julie xo

Tamar SB said...

Perfect for summer nights celebrating!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I love these! They are fun and festive! I want to do this for Memorial Day and the 4th!!!!

Carla from The River said...

Perfect idea and one that I will be doing. :-) Thank you.

xx oo
Best for the weekend!!
Love, Carla

Ida said...

What a great idea. They look fantastic lite up.

Clairejustine oxox said...

What a great idea Heather! Love these :)

Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop..

Bliss said...

Those are sweet, I pinned 'em.

Morgan Fluhler said...

These are too fun! I would love to have some of these to put out for a 4th of July bbq.

Jessica Pelasky said...

These are too cute! :)

I’d love for you to share it with my Recipe and Crafts Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails