Tuesday, May 3, 2016

{Recipe}Creamy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheez- Easy Freezer Sauce!

This is one of those recipes that came together in my head and I kept thinking about it until I made it. I've made it twice now, the second time to remember what I did to make it (and to eat it again!).
 It comes together quickly with the help of frozen veggies.
{Ingredients}
For 2-3 servings
Pasta of your choice- I used half of 12 oz bag of organic trottole from Target
Frozen Butternut Squash- 12 oz bag
Frozen Grilled Cauliflower- 8 oz (I used half of a 16 oz bag)
Frozen Mixed Vegetables 1- 2 cups
Nutritional Yeast - 2TBS
Lemon Juice - 1 TBS
Garlic Powder 1/2 tsp
Paprika - pinch plus more for the top
Cayenne Pepper 1/8 tp
Fine Grain Sea Salt 1 tsp
Dairy free milk of choice 1/4-1/2 cup (optional)
 Cook the pasta according the directions on the package.   In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the frozen mixed vegetables to cook them as well. Drain the cooked pasta/veggie combo.
 While the pasta is cooking, make your sauce.  Microwave the squash and added it to the Vitamix.
 Add nutritional yeast....

and other spice ingredients. You can add some dairy free milk here too. The first time I made it I added 1/4 cup of almond milk but the second time I made it without. Both turned out great.
 Process until smooth.
Now, here's my secret weapon for making it super creamy....cauliflower! The first time I made this I felt like it wasn't quite creamy enough and I happened to have some roasted cauliflower in the fridge. I added it to the mixture and it was exactly what was needed! This time I used Trader Joe's Grilled (frozen) Cauliflower.  (Microwave it first, save the rest for another time).
 The cauliflower really adds that extra creaminess and thickness it was missing.  Taste sauce and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Pour sauce over pasta/veggie combo and add a sprinkle of paprika (optional).  Serve immediately or pour into a baking dish, add breadcrumbs and bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
Easy, creamy and HEALTHY mac and "cheese" in under 30 minutes.  It's a perfect weeknight meal for when you forget your family expects dinner every night. 
Let's keep in touch!

Pin It

11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Pinning!! Must try!
I love buying their roasted cauliflower!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

YUM! I love your recipes. I'm definitely going to make this next week! Getting a bit dull around here!

Bliss said...

Kicks butt over Kraft!

Creations By Cindy said...

As always Heather your dishes looks so good. I'm all about anything I can freeze! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Clairejustine oxox said...

This looks so tasty, love the sound of this Heather :)

yayyayskitchen.com said...

We love butternut squash and cauliflower, so I can easily imagine how good this dish tastes. Thanks so much for sharing it. Looks super easy with all the frozen vegetables too.

Carla from The River said...

Pinning!
Thank you again for a great recipe!
Carla

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow this sounds so good and healthy! I would love to try this recipe out for dinner. I've seen the nutritional yeast in other nice recipes too. Thanks.
Julie

Jessica Pelasky said...

Wow. This sounds so tasty and delicious!

I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for sharing this recipe at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
Enjoy the week. :)
Julie

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

I need to try this and sneak it into my boys' diet. I have all 3 home this summer so maybe my daughter can make this for all of us! Thanks heather! laura

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails