Wednesday, July 30, 2014

{Recipe}Shirataki Noodle Taste Test & Peanut Noodles

My daughter and I did a little taste test of two kinds of shirataki noodles.  I tried them years ago and thought they were AWFUL but after reading Hungry Girl's comments about them, I thought I'd give them another try (and prepare them with her suggestions).
We compared the House brand tofu shirataki fettuccine style noodles and the NOoodle brand angel hair style.
The NOoodle brand's packaging says it has no calories but obviously it must have some. They are 97% water/3% Glucomannan flour which is derived from the Asian Konjac plant.  The House tofu shirataki brand has 10 calories a serving/2 servings per package.  It contains water, tofu and yam flour. 
The packages are small and are easily one serving each.  We followed HG's advice to thoroughly rinse the noodles and blot the excess moisture, cut the noodles to desired length and then heat them up in the microwave for a few minutes, again blotting any excess moisture.

We topped the noodles with a yummy peanut noodle sauce (recipe to follow).
(This is one half package of each on my plate)
Our "winner" was the House brand tofu shirataki brand though we liked them both. The fettuccine noodles had a more pasta-like consistency.   They also have a little bit of protein.
 The following peanut sauce is a super quick sauce for pasta, rice noodles,  and/or veggies.  
Peanut Noodle Sauce:Vegan, Gluten Free & Dairy Free
I adapted this recipe from The Vegan Stoner.
Ingredients:
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1/4 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Water
2 tsp Soy Sauce (I use Bragg Liquid Aminos)
1/2 Red Onion, chopped
1 tsp Grated Ginger
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper 
Heat the sesame oil in a skillet, add onion and saute for about 5-10 minutes. Add peanut butter, water, ginger, soy sauce and cayenne pepper.  
Stir to combine all of the ingredients and continue to cook until hot and bubbly.
This makes enough sauce for 2-3 servings.  
I could eat it with this spoon.
It's also delicious served over sauteed zucchini 'noodles'.
Linking up with:
Pin It

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I buy those "noodles" - I need to buy the soy free ones, but they are a great substitution and I love making lower calorie thai noodles with them!

Creations By Cindy said...

Well there is a first time for everything for this old chick! I have never heard of peanut butter sauce! WOW! I have a friend that I think is going to love this recipe. Sending it to her now! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Becky said...

It looks delicious! I've never heard of the noodles!

Jules said...

Somebody at work makes these at lunch and they do not smell one bit good....so much so that I stayed away from trying them. Glad to know that I just have to try the right ones. That peanut sauce sounds amazing!!!!

Mama Hen said...

Love this post! I capture so many pictures on my cell phone but never do anything with them. I have to try the peanut butter Oreos. Yum! Hope all is well! Looks like a fun summer! :)

Mama Hen

Bliss said...

Years ago I tried those noodles too, they were just ok. I have not been to hungry girls site for a long time either and it shows! I love peanut sauce though I have never made my own.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails