Friday, July 11, 2014

{Get Crafty} Craft Bead Tiered Stand and Sun Catcher

 I found this fun idea on mrspotter.com.
Mrs Potter is actress Monica Potter who plays Kristina Braverman on the tv show Parenthood.
Her blog is full of affordable, simple, easy to replicate and creative ideas. 
She made a craft bead cake stand but I switched my project up a bit.
 Supplies needed:
craft beads (clear colored beads seem to work best but I also used some opaque beads)
(I dumped out all of our old craft beads and picked out the ones I didn't think would work)
hot glue gun
baking pans (don't worry you won't ruin them)*see note below
candle holder or martini glass (from Dollar Store)
ribbon for hanging (for sun catcher)
***
Spread beads out in baking pans to cover the bottom of the pan.
 Preheat oven to 400 F
Bake beads for 40 minutes. Your house will smell like melting plastic so make sure it is well ventilated.
You can avoid this, by baking the beads in the pans on a bbq grill, keeping an eye on them until all of the beads have melted.
Remove the pans from the oven and let cool.
 There will be a lot of crackling noises as the beads cool off. They will eventually pop out of the pans.
*note* I used some beads that were not the normal craft beads and they ended up sticking to my smaller pan. I was able to remove the residue by re-melting it and scraping it off of the pan. This turned out to be a good mistake but I wouldn't recommend it. :)
 You will now have a melted bead plate or disk.
Hot glue an inexpensive candle holder or martini glass to the melted beads to make a cake stand or use two plates to make a tiered stand like mine.  
I'd probably use this for cupcakes or other food items in wrappers.
 To make a sun catcher:
 Drill a hole in the melted bead disk and hang in a window.
The beads that stuck in my case created a nice hole for me to be able to string some ribbon through and hang it up.
#happyaccident
I like the mix of the clear and opaque beads because the sun only shine through the clear beads.
All clear colored beads would give it an even more stained glass look.
You can even make smaller sun catchers in muffin tins and string a few together.
This was a fast, easy and free (because I had all of the supplies) project.
Linking up with:
Create It Thursday
Before & After Wednesday
Thrifty Thursday
Create Link Inspire
Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Handmade Hangout
Pin It

10 comments:

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

What a cool project! I love Parenthood, and had no idea that Monica Potter had a website/blog. I can't wait to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Tamar SB said...

Genius!! And love the new header!

Debbiedoos said...

Very cute and such a clever idea Heather. I really love it as a sun catcher.

Becky said...

This is fantastic! I love the look too!! (And your new blog look!!)

Carla from The River said...

Very fun. A great idea and it looks wonderful.
Thank you for sharing.
Carla

Love Of Quilts said...

What a swell idea. I Like the sun catcher.

Mama Hen said...

I love this! I will have to check out that blog. Thanks for the link. I had seen this craft a while ago and was not sure about the smell. I have heard that a toaster oven placed outside or in the garage might be a good idea. It looks fantastic! We will have to try this. I hope you have a great week my friend! :)

Mama Hen

Dawn said...

I've made the sun catchers but never saw the tiered plates. Cool! It does stink though!

Jules said...

What a great and easy idea...I think we have a whole container full of beads at home, but I am afraid most of them are opaque. :(

Morgan said...

Wow, it really does look like stained glass! I can't believe how well they melted down - your "cake plate" looks amazing!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails