Friday, June 13, 2014

{Recipe} Rice & Veggie Stuffed Peppers

These stuffed peppers are a weeknight staple around our house.  I probably make them at least every other week because they are so versatile and easy.  Everybody likes them too (bonus!).  I make mine vegetarian, but feel free to add your favorite ground meat.
I don't have exact measurements for this recipe.  
Ingredients:
Bell peppers (1/2-1 per person)
Cooked brown rice (1-2 cups)
Assorted chopped up vegetables (onions, peppers, spinach, carrots, tomatoes, asparagus, etc)
Olive oil
Grated cheese (I like to use a light Mexican blend)
Minced Garlic
Salt & Pepper
Parmesan Cheese (optional)
***
Cut off top of peppers (reserve) and then cut in half and remove seeds, microwave for 5 minutes to soften then blot dry.  Set aside in an oven safe dish.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add vegetables. This time I used onions, cut up pepper tops, shredded carrots, and spinach
Saute veggies until cooked, adding minced garlic and salt & pepper to taste. Add cooked rice to vegetable mixture (about 1 cup).  Stir to combine.
Add tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce) and mix together (if I don't have sauce on hand I skip this step, diced canned tomatoes also work in a pinch).
Turn the heat down and add in grated cheese (around 3/4 cup), stir until mostly melted (I leave this out for College Girl and make hers with nutritional yeast before adding cheese for the rest of us).
Stuff pepper halves with the mixture, it's ok if some of the filling spills out into the dish..that will be yummy too.
Add a bit of Parmesan cheese if you like and bake at 350F for approximately 20-30 minutes.
Enjoy your cheesy, veggie creation!
What's your go-to weeknight dinner if you're cooking?
Linking Up With:
Say G'day Saturday

Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oo! I bet I can use Daiya cheese to make these! Yum-o!

Becky said...

These look yummy and quick too! My go to is wraps!! I always have something around here I can stuff in a tortilla!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy. I need to change up our menu, kind of in a slump. Thank you for the fun idea!
We love peppers.

Jules said...

These peppers look delicious and so versatile!!!!!

Mama Hen said...

Now I am hungry! :) Looks absolutely scrumptious! I have to try this recipe. How are you? I took a break from blogging but really misses it. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Bliss said...

Pinned.

Katie said...

Oh I am pinning this! Stuffed peppers are a favorite among my family, but I don't eat ground meat, so I've never had them. But now I can try this version!

My go to is either breaded chicken cutlets or pasta. But this winter my family put me in charge of the menus for everyone. I make a menu + grocery list for everyone every Thursday or Friday and email it to my parents and brother. So now I'm branching out because when I wrote it down, I realized we were eating a lot of breaded chicken and pasta!

Morgan said...

I love these! Stuffed peppers are one of my favorite meals. :) I never thought to put sauce in them, yum.

By the way I am about to inundate you with comments because I haven't kept up with my blog reading! Sorry for all the emails you are (most likely) about to get! I got some catching up to do.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails