Wednesday, June 18, 2014

{Entertaining} Trail Mix Bar & Wild Book Club

Did I catch you with that title...wild book club? :)
 Our book last month was Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed.  It's a memoir of her harrowing, 1000 mile hike from the Mojave Dessert, through California, Oregon and ending in Washington State. She did this alone and in her 20's!  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.  It reads likes a novel.
Since I was hosting book club, I had to come up with some food and beverage ideas that went along with out book.   A trail mix bar sounded like fun.   She eats a lot of trail mix on her hike.
I used different cereals and popcorn as the base and then had lots of mix-ins to customize it. 
{Cereals:}
Bran Buds, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Life & Puffed Wheat
Popcorn
{Mix Ins:}
Dried fruit, Almonds, Teddy Grahams, mini M & M's, peanut M & M's, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and pretzels. 
***
I had plastic cups to mix up our trail mixes in and spoons for easy eating.
I also served french fries because she was often fantasizing about the meals she'd eat when she would make camp in a town--usually involving a burger and fries.
 Cocktails are a must at book club and we usually stick with wine (everyone tends to bring a bottle) but I thought it would be fun to make a Wild themed cocktail.
 In the book, the author craves Snapple lemonade so mixed up a Blueberry Lemonade Cocktail (aka Blueberry BFF).  
I found the recipe here.  
{Ingredients:}
Vodka
Blueberries
Lemonade 
Club Soda
***
Put a few blueberries in a glass and muddle a few of them to release the flavor.  Add a handful of ice and one shot of vodka.  Fill the glass halfway with pink lemonade and top off with club soda. 
Add a few more blueberries and a fun straw.
 These were very light and refreshing.
I served home made hummus with home made tortilla chips (it was nice to have College Girl home to make these for me!), veggies and a few other nibbles. College Girl had also read the book and sat in with us for some of our discussion.  That was a welcome first!
The Trail Mix Bar was a big hit and will probably be showing up at a future party around here.
Linking up with:
Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Creative Corner Hop
Sunday Showcase
Creative Mondays
Alphabe-Thursday
Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday
Home Sweet Home

Pin It

11 comments:

Karen said...

Your Book Club sounds like Loy's of fun! P.S. I just finished The Language of Flowers <3

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh, love trail mix myself! Glad you gals had fun. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Carla from The River said...

Sounds like a great evening.

How did your book club start?

Katie said...

The trail mix bar is such a cool idea. I love bars - sundae bars, yogurt bars, pizza bars, alcohol bars... Its just so fun to let everyone put their own things together.

And speaking of bars, that cocktail sounds delicious! I am definitely pinning both of these ideas!

Jules said...

You always have the very best party ideas and this one was no exception...WOW!!!!

Tamar SB said...

Now that is creative! I may check the book out now, I wasn;t sure if I would like it!

Becky said...

What a creative idea! You can gather inspiration from anywhere :) Really love this!!

Ida said...

I want to join your book club. This sounded like such a fun party. Also the book sounds interesting. I'll put that on my list of books that I'd like to read.

Jenny said...

I'd love to join YOUR bookclub!

You really put out an enchanting spread!

Such a fun party!

Thanks for letting attend vicariously through your link!

A++

Jenny said...

I forgot to say that I love that lavender nail polish!

I'm going to look for that color for my next pedicure for sure!

Morgan said...

I definitely would have used the Life cereal as my base - that stuff is addictive! :)
This is such a fun idea. I love making what could be just a regular get-together more exciting! I bet everyone was thrilled with the addition of a snack bar. The blueberry lemonade sounds amazing.
I'm curious about the red, white and blue spoons (I think they are spoons) in the bowls where you have chocolate chips and other toppings. They look really cute and look like they have a hole in the top? They are adorable and I want some. :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails