Thursday, May 22, 2014

{Recipe} Vegetarian/Vegan Pot Pie, Take 2

I was craving a traditional pot pie with a real, flaky pie crust so I adapted this recipe for 1 hour pot pies. Having already tackled a biscuit topped pot pie, it was time to add another version to my kitchen arsenal.  I did take the easy route and buy my (double) crust (making sure there were no animal products in it). 
*Note: Some brands contain lard. 
 The filling is creamy, comforting and delicious plus it's full of veggies.  This pie reminded me of a typical frozen pot pie but healthier, because I knew exactly what was going into it.
 To make the filling:
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 medium yellow or red onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups frozen vegetables (or you can use fresh)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup unbleached flour (or thickener of choice)
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper
Preheat oven according to pie crust package directions.  Saute onion and garlic in olive oil, adding a pinch of salt.  Cook until soft - about 7 minutes.
Add the flour and stir with a whisk, slowly whisk in the broth.
Add the almond milk and bay leaves, stir and simmer until thickened
Add the frozen vegetables and cook about 5 minutes more. Add salt & pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves.
Pour mixture into bottom pie shell and top with other crust.
Pinch the edges of the crusts together and cut off any excess.
Cut a few slits in the top crust.
Bake according to the package (or your pie crust recipe) until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
 Serve piping hot (try not to burn your tongue!).
Pin It

10 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

Heather this looks so good. My husband loves homemade pot pies! And right now I am hungry.....LOL!
Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tamar SB said...

So pretty looking!!

Katie said...

This looks so good! I only made pot pie once, but I added too much sage and didn't like it. I haven't tried it again since! I should try again, especially because its one of AJ's favorites!

camp and cottage living said...

Pot pies are a favorite of mine!
They remind me of the Pasties my Hubby makes.
Yours look delicious!

Laura said...

Hi Heather-
Oh my-
this looks delicious!
I just found your blog and I am off to read more.
I am a new follower.
Oh photography-

I am so frustrated right now, but I keep at it.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Becky said...

OK, so you *just* may swing me toward pot pie one of these days :)

Morgan said...

Yum, I am so into this!! I love pot pies. I always buy the Amy's brand at the store, but have been wanting to make my own and never got around to it. I'm going to try this for sure - look so good!

Carla from The River said...

YUM!! We love Pot Pie too. And this post just made me hungry for one.

Jules said...

This looks so yummy!!!!!

Ginnie said...

Mmm ... this looks so good! Pot pie is one of my favorites, and I loved the frozen ones as a kid:)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails