Thursday, May 8, 2014

{Recipe}Mushroom, Spinach & Sun-dried Tomato (Vegan) Quiche

I didn't think a tasty vegan quiche was possible but this one proved me wrong.  I used this recipe from Angela at Oh She Glows and adapted it a little bit.
I was going to take the easy way out = lazy on the crust and use a store bought pie crust but I'm so glad I didn't. This crust really makes the quiche with its nutty, salty crunchiness and I realized I already had most of the ingredients in my pantry. Plus, I was really excited to use my thrifted tart pan! 
I need to make more tarts.
 For the crust:
1 TBS ground flax seed+3 TBS of water, mixed together
1 cup of whole almonds, ground into flour
1 cup of oats, ground into flour
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 TBS coconut oil (or olive oil)
1-2.5 TBS of water, if needed
Preheat oven to 350F, lightly grease a 10 inch tart pan. Whisk together flax seed and water and set aside for it to gel up.  In a large bowl mix together almond meal, oats, parsley, oregano and salt.  Add in flax seed mixture and oil.  Stir to combine, adding additional water as needed until the dough sticks together.
Crumble the dough into the center of the tart pan and start pressing the dough from the center out to the edges and sides.  Poke the crust a few times with a fork and bake at 350 for 13-16 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool and increase oven temperature to 375F.
For the filling:
1 (14oz) block of extra firm tofu, drained and as much liquid squeezed out as possible
1 TBS coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 leek thinly sliced (I used red onion)
3 cloves of garlic, minsed
3 cups (8-oz) sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
1/2 cup fresh chives (I had to use dried, few tsp)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1 cup baby spinach
2 TBS nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
Red paper flakes to taste (optional)
Break apart the tofu block into 4 pieces and put into food processor. Process the tofu until smooth and creamy, add a splash non dairy milk to help it along if necessary.
 In a skillet, add oil and saute the onions (or leeks) and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in mushrooms and season with salt. Cook for 10-12 minutes until most of the water cooks off. Add herbs, sun dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast and spinach and cook until spinach wilts.
Remove from heat and stir in the processed tofu, adjust seasoning if necessary. Spread filling out over the crust, smoothing out with spoon until even.  Bake quiche uncovered for 33-37 minutes until it is firm to the touch. Let quiche cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes before attempting to slice.
Why is that first piece always the hardest to get out?
This quiche is so full of flavor, you won't notice that it's made with tofu and not loaded with eggs, cream and cheese.  
Leftovers keep in the fridge for a days and can be reheated in the oven. It's also good cold or at room temperature.  I froze some for when College Girl comes home and I'm hoping it will reheat up nicely for her too.  
Pin It

5 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oo that look so tasty! I make a vegan quiche with no crust, which reminds me, I haven't made it in a while!

Jules said...

More yummy food....this looks absolutely delicious!!!!

Katie said...

This looks delicious! I'm sure College Girl appreciated having some sent back to school with her too.

My favorite quiche are actually quiche cupcakes. But they aren't vegan...there's bacon in them. But I like that they are cupcakes, because then I only eat one at a time!

Carla from The River said...

We need to live next door. I want to be your taste test person. LOL
Looks great.

Bliss said...

When I read your tasty recipes I always think of changing my evil eating ways - you make it look so good and easy.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails