Tuesday, May 13, 2014

{Pinned} "Miracle Cleaner" #fail

Oh Pinterest, how I love thee..but sometimes you lead me astray.
I pinned this stain removal method a long time ago. My results weren't good and I never posted the outcome but the story has a happy ending so stay tuned.
The idea was to combine 1 part blue Dawn dishwashing liquid with 2 parts hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray it right on ANY stains to make them miraculously disappear.
Here were my stained kitchen stools before.
They were covered in "stain resistant" microfiber that ended up getting pretty permanently stained.
I mixed up the solution and sprayed it on the stools (as if this wasn't scary enough!). 
I scrubbed and blotted and scrubbed and this is how the stools looked after they dried. 
womp,womp,womp
The stain remover didn't seem to work on any of the stains.
Tomorrow I'll have part two of the story and the happy ending I promised.
Have you tried this cleaner?  Was it just me? 
PS: I also tried it on the grout around my sink and didn't see any noticeable difference.
Pin It

8 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

I haven't tried it Heather but curious to what worked for you! Thanks for sharing though. Hugs and blessings Cindy

Tamar SB said...

Oh no! I've made a cleaner via Pinterest that I adore. It's warm water, vinegar, lemon juice, and maybe something else? Great for dusting.

Lindsey said...

Eep! Hydrogen peroxide is a a bleaching agent. I wouldn't dare put it on anything I wouldn't want to alter the color! I use Biokleen Bac-Out Stain and Odor Remover. It's a natural enzyme cleaner which seems to do the trick on most things! I use my Oreck Steam Mop to tackle things first... it does a great job on my sofa. I have tried some essential oil cleaner blends and am not super happy with them. There is this all purpose spray I just tried with vinegar in it and I threw it out after one squirt. Too much vinegar! Yuck!
Excited to see what you came up with!

Carla from The River said...

I am happy this story has a happy ending.
And thank you for the warning!
Looking forward to part 2 of this story.

Katie said...

I've always wanted to try the pinterest cleaners, but AJ (the big cleaner in the house) prefers store bought ones. He always thinks they aren't going to work!

So I'm going to make sure I don't tell him about this post ;) I'm surprised it didn't work though, it seems like the ingredients are awesome, but that is disappointing!

Can't wait to see how you turned this into a happy ending (and I don't have to because I'm behind on reading! Its already posted!)

Jules said...

Sorry this was a Pinterest fail...I would have been so frustrated not to mention scared to death to spray all those ingredients on a light colored cushion!!! We live and learn!

Becky said...

Hmm, I've seen this one out there, or a variation of it, and wondered. Can't wait to see what worked!

Karen said...

I've tried the soap scum remover using Dawn. FAIL! I think the makers of Dawn create all of those pins so we run out and buy their product.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails