Thursday, July 25, 2013

{Travel} NYC with My Girl

While Miss Middle School was off on a Grandma/Cousin adventure, I took the opportunity to meet up with her sister in The Big Apple last month.  College Girl has been away this summer on an exciting summer opportunity, the only catch--it's out of town, so I miss her!  NYC was a good meeting place for us so I hopped on a train and ended up here.
This is right outside of Penn Station where I got in the cab line.

I took a cab to the hotel and met up with my daughter there.
The decor of the lobby was really fun and mod.

We were there fairly early so our room wasn't ready but the hotel kindly stowed our bags and we got on our way.
Our first stop was visiting the designer my daughter is working for this summer (sorry, no photos). We got a great tour of the studio and also got to buy some 'sale' pieces.  We had no set itinerary so we got lots of great suggestions while we were there for fun things to do and see.
Since we were already in the garment district we decided to go to Mood. I've always been a fan of Project Runway and it was a thrill to visit the store from the show. 
It's a fabric paradise!
No, I didn't get to see Tim Gunn, but I did see this guy from Season 10! 
We also snapped a photo of "Swatch" the resident doggy at Mood.  
We met up with one of my daughter's friends from school outside of Mood and spent a little time with together before taking the subway with her to Greenwich Village (on her way back to work).
Emerging from the subway was a sweet relief, it's so much quieter and less crowded in the Village!
We were heading to the Chelsea High Line.  It's a public park built on an old elevated freight line above the city's west side. The High Line runs through the Meatpacking District, West Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen.  You can enter the High Line at various entry points along the way.  

There are lots of green spaces and gardens, great walking paths, food vendors, places to sit and relax--just about everything a 'regular' park has. 

And some great views.  This shot is too close but the view behind us of the city was amazing.
After spending time on the High Line, we headed to Chelsea Market.  Isn't this a gorgeous space? We loved exploring all of the shops and vendors and then settled down for some lunch (I think it was around 3pm by then and we were starving!).
We had lunch at The Green Table. We were so ready to sit down after all of that walking and the menu looked vegan friendly for College Girly.  We ordered a few things and shared it all.
Another shot of Chelsea Market.
We were in awe of the shop Spices and Tease.
After Chelsea Market, we took a cab to Times Square to buy tickets to a show at the TKTS booth there.  The lines looked discouragingly long but they actually moved pretty quickly.

"ONCE" was our first choice and we thrilled to get two tickets to the show (at a discount).
We went back to the hotel to finally check into our room and relax a little before going out again.
The hotel had a little manager's reception every night and that night it was barbecue themed.  We stopped in there before walking over to the theater.  It was mostly burgers and hot dogs but we had some chips and salsa before we left.
Here we are in line, so excited to see the show!
It was AWESOME!  Our tickets were in the second row!!
"Once" is set in an Irish pub and before the show you can actually go up on stage and get a drink at the pub!  They were extremely strict on cameras so I wasn't able to get any photos inside the theater.
After the show we walked back to our hotel. Of course NYC was still hopping--except for restaurants. We were having trouble finding anything open for dinner at 10:30 pm. Luckily we found a deli/restaurant where we got made to order salads to go and took them back to our room.
What a wonderful first day in the city.


Follow on Bloglovin
Linking up with:
Pin It

17 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh looks like such a fun day. I loved being taken on the tour with you. How fun. Great pics. Hugs, Marty

Tamar SB said...

NYC is pretty fun! Isn't Mood amazing!!

Jules said...

Looks like a wonderful start to your trip! Chelsea looks amazing and definitely a place that I would like to visit. Can't wait to see more of the trip!

Debbiedoos said...

You girls sure know how to have fun. You are either traveling or eating:) I love it!

Katie said...

This looks like such a fun trip! I really love that you were able to go to Mood and the high line! I never got the chance to go to the high line (it opened about two weeks before I moved to Chicago!)

It was so fun to see your pictures! I can't wait for the next NYC installment!

Dawn said...

Fun trip!

Yolanda Ronaldo said...

What a fun trip! It looks like a fantastic day :)

Ida said...

What a great trip and time spent with your daughter. I like the mod look in the motel.

Bliss said...

Looking forward to where you take us next!

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

looks like a perfect day!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a grand tour! I have always wanted to go to Mood fabric.

Have a wonderfully lovely day!

Tammy N said...

I love NYC! My daughter and I did a similar trip last summer. Such good memories. Thanks for sharing yours.

Michele Reynolds said...

What a nice day and trip! You did a lot! Pinned to my travel board:) I posted DIY Doily Jacket. Stop by:)

Maria said...

I love this area of the city, especially the High Line and Chelsea market.. such fun places to hang out at! Looks like a fun trip!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love NYC and plan to go to the Chelsea Market on my next trip - I love Mood, isn't it overwhelming? So many fabrics, trims and notions!! It is a fun way to spend a few days!

Granny-Guru said...

I want you to be my tour guide the next time I go to NYC. What great photos. Almost like being there with you. Thanks!

Dusty @AllThingsG+D said...

What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing!
-Dusty

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails