Thursday, January 9, 2014

{Get Crafty} Popsicle Stick Snowflake

I like getting all of the Christmas decorations down but it's a little sad too.
So to cheer me up I made this Popsicle Stick Snowflake for the front door.
I found the idea on Pinterest here.
January can be tricky because I'm not ready for Valentine's decorations but it feels like I need a little something in the way of winter decor.
 I had all of the supplies on hand-even an unopened protractor(which I didn't use).
Supplies:
Popsicle sticks
Hot glue gun
Acrylic Paint
Protractor (optional)
 Start by making a 6 stick asterisk with hot glue.  If you are into perfection, glue them at perfect 30 degree angles.
If you're like me, just eye ball it.
{Yay for imperfectionists!}
 Continue building by adding sticks to form diamond shapes from the asterisk.
 Of course every snowflake is different so go ahead and make your own design. I liked this one (adding a "chicken foot" to each diamond).
I posted this shot on Instagram yesterday of the paint in progress.  I used three coats of white acrylic paint. I couldn't wait to see how it looked on our black door.
I used some floral wire to hang it and boom it was up!

It makes a simple,bold statement for sure and I love it!
You can see it from the street which makes me happy.
{No, that's not our real house number.}
The project also cost me $0 since I had everything on hand but it's a thrifty craft even if you have to buy the supplies.
Are you doing any January decorating or crafting?
Let's hear it!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a Magicstick portable charger.
Sorry, the giveaway is over.
Linking up with:
Pin It

16 comments:

Tamar SB said...

LOVE it!! Super simple and creative.

Carla from The River said...

Fun! Thank you for sharing. Perfect for my Wisconsin door. ;-)

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I commented before, so you might get two from me. :-)
I did not see it go through.
So here it goes again.
I love your idea. And it will look perfect on my Wisconsin door. ;-)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

@Carla from The River It's there! Thank you so much for the double comment love!! :)

Katie said...

Okay, I'm not sure if my comment posted because I lost the internet in the middle of it.

But I really like this! It looks great, and is really stunning against the black door!

Jules said...

What a great project...perfect for the winter and looks amazing on your black door!

Clairejustine oxox said...

Aww this is great :)

Life with Kaishon said...

Heather! I love your pretty snowflake. Gary just told me the other day that he is disappointed that I leave the same wreath up year round. I rolled my eyes at him. I should be better about that stuff. #homedecoratingfail

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Fun and pretty!!! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

Dawn said...

Love it! One of those "why didn't I think of that" crafts! I would add glitter to mine .... It's a problem!

Ida said...

That's a cute and fun winter project. It looks great on your door.

Diann said...

This is such a great craft! It turned out wonderful and I love it up against your black door. I featured you today at TTG FB page. https://www.facebook.com/thethriftygroove

Becky said...

I absolutely love it! Perfect for that time between Christmas and Valentine's Day! Even better that you had all the supplies on hand too!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Thrifty, clever and CUTE!

Morgan said...

That snowflake is so stinking cute! What a great idea. It's a statement, but I like that it's kinda of modern too :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

How fun is this. I love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails