Monday, January 27, 2014

{Recipe}Hungry Girl's Mushroom Risotto

Miss Middle School and I have been trying out some new recipes while Mr Click is traveling and this one became an instant classic!  Hungry Girl has some great tricks for making decadent dishes guilt free and delicious. Her secret ingredient in this risotto is cauliflower!
I'm not a big fan of cauliflower but I love this recipe.

Hungry Girl's Mushroom Risotto:
2 cups finely chopped cauliflower (Like I said, I don't like plain cauliflower and I really don't enjoy cutting it up into finely chopped pieces but this recipe is worth it.)
1 1/2 cups fat free vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced white mushrooms
1 cup diced onions
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
4 tsp Parmesan cheese (she uses a reduced fat Parmesan, I use less of the regular Parmesan)
2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
optional garnish: parsley, parmesan shreds
Combine all ingredients in a large pot except Parmesan and Laughing Cow cheese. Add 3/4 cup of water, stir well and bring to a boil.
 Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, until rice is cooked and veggies are tender.
 Add Parmesan cheese and cheese wedges, breaking the wedges into pieces. Continue to cook on low, stirring well until cheese has melted and is mixed in completely.
Serve and enjoy, add more Parmesan and/or some fresh parsley.
This is such an easy way to make risotto, no standing over the pot, adding broth and stirring constantly. You can pretty much leave it and come back to perfectly cooked risotto.
It's creamy and delicious and definitely a great winter comfort food.
Makes 4 cups/servings. 
Each serving has 5 Points +.

Linking up with:
Sunday Showcase
Centerpiece Wednesday
Tasty Tuesday

Featured at:

Pin It

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yum!! I made a cauliflower risotto last year - reminds me, I need to make it again!

Morgan said...

I love mushrooms! This sounds sooo good! It sounds pretty easy and fast too.

Katie said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it. And I bet bulking it up with cauliflower makes it less points!

camp and cottage living said...

That sounds all cheesy and yummy.
And I just happen to love cauliflower. It's my potato substitute now.
Middle schooler did good!

Becky said...

Yum!! I love mashed cauliflower, instead of mashed potatoes!!

Bliss said...

I love everything in this, especially the cauliflower.

Jules said...

I would love a bowl of this right now!!!

Carla from The River said...

I love mushrooms. Sounds like you guys had fun making this together. ♥

Cathy Compeau said...

Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can't wait to see what you link up next week!
Have a terrific weekend!
Cathy
APeekIntoMyParadise.com
#TastyTuesdays

Lori Hart said...


Congratulations!! Your recipe has been featured at Tasty Tuesdays 48 on my blog, Lori’s Culinary Creations. Hop on over and grab a feature button and link up your latest culinary creations. Congrats again.
Link- http://bit.ly/1bmcMSs
Lori

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails