Monday, July 15, 2013

Porch In Progress

The exterior of our house hadn't been getting much attention until I was inspired by Jen's June Monthly Challenge where she refreshed her front porch.  
 I realized ours needed some TLC...desperately!
 The green algae almost matches the wagon.
 These are the before pictures that I took.


We don't have much of a porch and it's hard to see unless you are right in front of it/on it but most people enter our house through this door so it needed to be less of an eyesore.
 A thorough sweeping and spider web attack were the first steps.  It seems no matter how many times I sweep away the spiders and their webs, they are back at it the next day.  We were also visited by quite a few birds who left evidence of their visits so a quick wash down was also in order.  Bugs seem to love to hang out on the ceiling so I got a good upper body workout trying to sweep them all down.
 For some color, I added this blue and white striped rug that I got on my last trip to Ikea. It's reversible so I can flip it over if it gets dirty.

I added some cut hydrangeas from the garden for more color...
 

and some lanterns that we already had (incidentally also from Ikea).
The large black lantern was on our 'other' front porch.

Next came power washing to give it a deep clean and remove the algae(and other nasty stuff).



Hubs did the entire front of the house while he was at it.  
We did this a few weeks after my initial clean up.



I also added a few more pots of flowers. It's a start!
Future projects include:  painting the ceiling a pale blue and the front door a fresh, glossy black (the little green wagon could use a fresh coat of paint too).

We're in the middle of a heat wave on the East Coast right now so those painting projects will have to wait.  Until then, I'm enjoying my refreshed mini porch makeover.
Have you been working on your outdoor spaces?


Follow on Bloglovin
Linking up with:
Inspire Me Tuesday
Efforts and Assets
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Sunday Showcase
Thrifty Things Friday
The Weekly Creative
Party Junk
Alphabe-Thursday
Create It Thursday
Clever Chicks
Thrifty Thursday
We Heart Organizing Monthly Challenge
Tutorials & Tips





Pin It

13 comments:

Jules said...

Your porch looks wonderful! Ready for guests to sit down and visit with an iced tea or a glass of wine!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

It looks fabulous. I love your accessories, and such an inviting spot. I would love for you to link this up to my Inspire Me party that just started today. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/173rd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
Hugs, Marty

Tamar SB said...

Looks great!! Nice and fresh and cozy feeling!

Debbiedoos said...

Looking good there girlie! Nothing like a spruced up front porch. It really makes a statement for the rest to come when you enter a home!

Katie said...

The porch is looking great! I hope you are keeping cool during the crazy heat wave! I've been hearing all about it, and it does not sound fun!

Bliss said...

Just think how fast that paint would dry in the heat.

Bliss

Amy @ Cheeky Cocoa Beans said...

Lovely! Your hard work really paid off! I love that black lantern and the wagon.

Ida said...

You mini-porch makeover turned out great. Love the pops of color with those gorgeous hydrangea blooms. Also I think the pale blue color you mentioned will be very pretty.

Dawn said...

Looks great! Those hydrangeas are gorgeous!

PS - this heat wave can end anytime now. I am over it!

Dawn

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Your porch looks great and so many beautiful flowers! I don't have a front or back porch at my new place and I miss being able to decorate. Well I have a little place in back but it's not covered so I'm limited what I can put out! Thanks for joining TTF this week.

Linda

Pondside said...

I did much the same thing last week. Your porch looks great!

Splendid Little Stars said...

It looks so cheerful now!
Your hydrangeas are gorgeous!
Don't you love having a power washer?!
It's the yard and garden areas outside my house that seem to need lots of attention especially this year with lots of rain.

Jenny said...

Does anyone actually ever come in your house now?

Or do they just stop at this enchanting spot and plop down waiting for a glass of iced tea and a sugar cookie?

Really a lovely place!

Thanks for linking your talents and ideas for the letter 'I'.

A+

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails