Thursday, March 21, 2013

Simple No-Sew Valance from a Tablecloth

The tablecloth didn't stand a chance.
{in it's previous life as a tablecloth}
I bought it last year (on clearance from Target) for my daughter's Grey & Yellow 18th Birthday Party with the intention of making it into a kitchen window treatment at some time.  

I finally worked up the nerve to cut it in half and draped it over a tension rod in our bay window.  This was around Thanksgiving when I was working on hemming the dining room curtains from Ikea and that was enough no-sew hemming for the time being. 
We lived with the straight(ish) valance and I loved the fabric against the kitchen paint color
I didn't like the rough edge of the fabric that I'd see whenever I was out in the hot tub looking into the kitchen so I knew I had to finish it off or I just wouldn't be able to relax (ha!).
I brought in my trusty friend.
The ironing board came downstairs and I got to work.  There's nothing like an ironing board in the kitchen to motivate you.
I made a smooth hem of the rough edge by ironing it down and then folding it over and hemming with the iron on tape.
I pinned down the edges to form a rod pocket with safety pins
and hung it back up on the rod (you can see it gaping a little on the edges, I'll get to that later).
This ribbon was from Joanne Fabrics.   It's not an exact match but it works.
I wrapped the ribbon around the fabric on the pole and pulled it up to a small gather then pinned it with a safety pin. I stepped back to see if this was the look I was going for, then trimmed the ribbon.
I did the same thing with the other side.  I didn't like how the edges of the valance were puckering so I took it down and ironed the 'rod pocket' down, then added a few hand stitches to hold it in place.  
(So I lied, there's a little sewing....)

I also tightened up the tension rod and repinned the ribbons. I will probably tack them with a few stitches eventually as well.  I still have the other half of the tablecloth and I'm thinking of doing another window treatment with it over the kitchen sink...that might take another year though.

Linking up with:

Pin It

16 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Looks fabulous . Great tutorial. Hugs, Marty

jolynnsmountainmama said...

wish I had read this blog post about a year ago when we moved into our new house and now you have me thinking about up cycleing my old valances.. ribbon... and a iron.. I think I may just steal this and link back thanks ! meeting you from thursadays favorite things.. jolynn+

Jules said...

So pretty! Since there is no sewing, I may actually be able to do it

Marigene said...

Great looking valance...being a non-sewer, I might even be able to handle that type of project.

Katherines Corner said...

Heather its terrific. Love the fabric too. Thank you for joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

Katie said...

This looks awesome! I'm totally pinning it for after the move :)

Jennifer Obyrne said...

It turned out great! Thank you so much for sharing on Thursday Favorite Things at Katherine's Corner. I'm Jen, the co-host this from Through My Creative Mind. I'm your newest follower...I'd love it if you stopped by and did the same :-)
Make sure to come back every Monday for Creative Show and Tell!

Jen @ Through My Creative Mind
http://throughmycreativemind.blogspot.com

Bliss said...

It's looking good. Stitch Witch is my friend, measuring is not so mine would surly have the sag even if I didn't mean it too.

Bliss

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog said...

You had me at "no-sew"! What an awesome project--it looks really beautiful! I found you at "Knock Our Socks Off"--thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

Shutter Happy Jenn said...

I don't know how to sew (using a sewing machine), so this came very handy for me. Time to take out the red curtain and change it with something floral... and I might just do this.

Jen Shoemaker said...

Thanks for sharing on Monday's Show and Tell at Through My Creative Mind.

Jen
throughmycreativemind.blogspot.com

Carrie said...

Great idea! You may have motivated me to try something different with mine! :o)
Carrie

House of Smiths said...

Thanks so much for sharing your post at our linky party this week!
So simple and so elegant. Love it!
xo

Kathy Penney said...

Love the gray and yellow together...and love even more that it's no sew! If you're linking up this weekend I'd love for you to share it at All Things Pretty. http://sparklesandastove.com/all-things-pretty-thursday-2/

A Little Knick Knack said...

I love this! Gray and yellow is still a favorite combo of mine and I love repurposing items for a different use. Very creative and so simple! I may steal this idea...thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

cute! I'm going to do this for my tiny apartment kitchen window!!
Lisa

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails