Thursday, September 27, 2012

{Recipe}Hungry Girl's Creamy Carrot Soup

I made this soup for my daughter's Grey & Yellow Themed 18th Birthday back in February.  Luckily the food didn't have to match the theme (except some of the desserts).  
With the weather cooling off, my youngest was requesting that I make it again. 
 She's so spoiled now that she's an "only child".
 Of course I made it for her.  It sounded good to me too.  The original recipe can be found here.  I  "veganized" it by swapping veggie broth for chicken broth.  
Ingredients:
4 cups chopped carrots(I used baby carrots and cut them up)
1 large onion, chopped (used red onion)
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups of vegetable broth (I use Better Than Buillion)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (I added more to give it more bite)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze almond milk
 Bring a large non stick pot to medium heat and add the carrots, onions and potato.  Cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes).
 Add broth and seasonings and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer until veggies are soft. This took about 20-30 minutes for me.
 If you don't have an immersion blender remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly. Once cooled, pour into a blender and add the almond milk. Puree until smooth.
 

If you do have an immersion blender, puree the vegetables until smooth.  This was FUN! 
Add the almond milk and continue pureeing until you reach your desired consistency.

 

This looked about right to me.  This soup is sweet, savory and delicious!
It thickens up if you leave it in the fridge and gets even better.
I added a few carrot curls for crunch and had this for lunch (I'm such a poet!) today.  
The stats on this soup are great too.
PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 1 1/4 cups): 125 calories, 1.25g fat, 582mg sodium, 26.5g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 8g sugars, 4g protein.

Don't forget to enter my $50 Shabby Apple Gift Card Giveaway ending tomorrow!!!
Sorry, this giveaway is now over.
Linking up with:


Pin It

8 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Looks delicious. Once I am recovered I want to start eating healthier. I will print this one and give it a try!
Thanks!

Love Of Quilts said...

Soups are a favorite of mine too. Good your daughter like's them. I bet she is loving being the only child for a while.

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh, I love me some soup! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

Nice apples, nice soup, but don't tell Hungry Girl I'm so making a fattening dessert tonight.

~Bliss~

Self Sagacity said...

carrots is so good for you. The soup looks delicious!

Jonie Marie said...

This looks so delicious and healthy. I think my girls would love it! Thanks for sharing, and for linking up to Point of View!

Morgan said...

This sounds so good! Love that it's vegetarian too. :) I love soups!

Jenny said...

I'm sending this recipe to my daughter!

I wonder would it would be like if you carmelized the carrots first, too?

I may have to play with this recipe!

It sounds superb!

Thank you for sharing.

A+

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails