Monday, July 23, 2012

Double Thrifting Day

It was a very fruitful thrifting day.
It started out at Goodwill in the morning when I was on a solo mission and picked up this platter and silver cutwork candle holder.
 Each piece was only $1.97.
 The platter is from Bavaria, the stamp says Seltmann Weiden Bavaria.  I can always use a plain white platter and the smaller size makes it perfect for family dinners.
 The candle holder went right up on my summer mantel. It mixes well with my other silver sparklies against the backdrop of  the cool, cream colored pieces.
This photo doesn't do it justice, since it's daytime and I'm using a battery tea light but it gives off such a lovely glow at night.
I also picked up the dance shoes hanging here on my daughter's summer stock costume(as well as the other pieces in her costume, but more on that later).
Speaking of shoes, I also scored these vintage Bass loafers for my older daughter.  Super preppie for my soon to be college freshie.
Later in the day, I took my younger daughter to another thrift store that was having a 50%off clothing sale.  We were hoping to find most of her costume pieces there. She needed a Shakespeare style dress or peasant blouse and long, full skirt..think Renaissance.  She also needed a rehearsal outfit in the style of the 1940's.  Sure, no problem!
We were very lucky that day and found her a long green taffeta skirt, long sleeved white blouse,  and sleeveless 1940's style blouse (see lavender blouse above). I also picked up a ladies tank that I thought I might be able to turn into a vest. The colors worked with the skirt and it only set me back $1.  
I will share the details on the vest in another post.
We also picked her up a pink Roxy sundress and I found a huge piece of fabric (tablecloth) and some pj shorts.
Not to mention these sah-weet shoes.
It was a banner day!!
Have you been thrifting lately? 
What's your favorite thrifty find?

Linking up with:
Pin It

7 comments:

laura@imnotatrophywife.com said...

Hi Heather- Would love you to link to my FIRST linky party for Favorite Find Friday. I have zero entries! Yikes! http://imnotatrophywife.blogspot.com/2012/07/first-linky-party-1-july-20-2012-need.html

Be my first!
laura

dee dee said...

Heather,
I love a good day at the thriftstore!
dee dee

Tanya @ Lovely Greens said...

Great finds Heather! I'm inspired to do a bit of thrifting for myself this week :)

Katie said...

Wow! Those are some awesome finds! I love all of the shoes, and the outfits for the play! But my favorite is the 40's inspired blouse.

I can't believe the plate and the candle holder were less than $2 each! They're both so versatile, I'm sure you will get lots of use out them!

Creations By Cindy said...

You done goo girl! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

I have a peasant shirt from home ec class in 1972. I never finished it because my seams were not straight enough for the evil sewing teacher. Your girls are blessed to have a mom who can whip up costumes.

~Bliss~

laura@imnotatrophywife.com said...

Thanks Heather for linking up to my first Favorite Find Friday at http://imnotatrophywife.com

I've got my second one and would love a link of your favorite anything!

laura

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails