Thursday, July 26, 2012

Women's Tank Turned Renaissance Vest

How I turned a women's ugly tank top into a Renaissance Vest in Ten Easy Steps. 
I'm not really sure how many steps....but it's easy.
I promise!
Here's the tank that we purchased on this thrifty outing.

And, here goes nothin'. 
I cut the tank top down the front middle.
{snip, snip, snip}
My daughter put the vest back on for sizing and I folded back the excess fabric and pinned it under.
I used these same grommets to make the holes but mine were silver-toned.  I had them from a previous Renaissance vest project (don't ask).


Basically, you make a tiny hole with your scissors where you want the grommet to go and position the underside of the grommet under the hole and the top piece of the grommet over the hole.  Then you hammer it together with the handy little grommet tool (included in the package).
Underside view.


I lined up the holes/grommets as well I could. I just kept checking to make sure they were close.

I hand stitched the raw edges down on the inside of the vest (I knew pulling out the sewing machine was only going to end in tears and frustration). 
I found a set of  unused black shoe laces and used one for the lacing.
Voila! 
Renaissance vest for $1.
Here she is on opening night!
Linking up with:
Pin It

21 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

So cool & creative - you rock!

Check out today's posts:
Jumping Jehosaphat!
Killjoy

Claudia Willison said...

Ha - this looks so simple to do and great when finished! Love it!

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

Very creative ~ Wow! ~ Bravo on 'opening night' ~ thanks for coming by ~~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor)

Jackie/Jake said...

You did an amazing job, it looks fantastic!!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

The vest is cute, but she is even cuter!

Katie said...

The vest looks great! I can't believe you made that for just a $1...or that you had grommets left over from another Renaissance vest project...

She looks like she is having a great time on opening night! I hope the rest of the shows are just as fun!

The Vintage Boomer said...

That is so cute! Great idea! Lovely daughter.

Karen S. said...

So lovely and what a dream vest to have! Very nicely done, and great inspiring post!

Naperville Now said...

will have to turn in my mom card! well done -- smart and with great results.

storybeader said...

very cute vest! And $1 - that's a steal! Now what show is this? {:-Deb

VBR said...

that is a great little wardrobe 'change'. looks like the kids has a wonderful time.

Lmkazmierczak said...

Very cool how-to blog♫♪ I get frustrated with sewing projects but this one looks doable.

Bliss said...

She has the best costume 'ya know.

~Bliss~

Our Village is a Little Different said...

Fantastic! What a wonderful Momma you are!

anitamombanita said...

very cool...and you made it look so easy!

Ames said...

What a cute idea!~Ames

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

So imaginative and creative! I like the fact that you don't need to use a sewing machine.

Diann said...

Hi Heather! What a fun, thrifty and great redo of the tank top! It turned out wonderful. Thank you for sharing at TTf. I hope you have a terrific weekend!

Jenny said...

You are absolutely brilliant...

It turned out awesome...

What a Joyous memory this will be...

Great Job for the letter "J"!

Thanks for linking.

A+

Diann said...

Back to let you know that I am featuring this post on this weeks TTF party! The link will be up tomorrow at 4:00pm. I hope you will join us again and stop by to grab your "I was featured" button for your blog! Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Lovely! I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails