Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Vegan Christmas 2016:What We Made

Christmas weekend was a whirlwind of activity and entertaining at our house.  We hosted Mr. Click's side of the family on Christmas Eve morning for brunch and my side of the family for Christmas dinner.   I made as much as I could ahead of time and was lucky that I had three great cooks to help me with the preparations.
First up was Christmas Eve brunch. We hosted about 30 people for an Ugly Sweater celebration.  It was chaotic and crazy but lots of fun (and sadly I didn't get photos of all of our delicious dishes). Everyone brought something but here's what we made.  I made this Hot Spiced Fruit Dish that was full of apples, pears and cranberries.  It makes a great brunch side dish.  This photo is before it was baked.
Miss High School made a batch of Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls which are always crowd pleasers.  She gave some out to her co-workers but we had a few trays left for brunch (not vegan but totally amazing!).

Some of the ugly sweater shenanigans.  Props were from Etsy.
I also made this Mushroom Spinach and Sun Dried Tomato vegan quiche which I've made before (old photo).  
My oldest made this fabulous Thai Kale Salad with Cashew Dressing.  Not my photo!
We made LOTS of cookies!  I only made the Vegan Peanut Butter Kiss cookies and the Peppermint Brownies(working on a recipe for these).
They are a layer of brownies followed by a peppermint buttercream icing and a hard chocolate coating, covered in peppermint candy.

We had a little hot chocolate bar set up as well as mimosas and some fancy egg nog (I can't remember what it was called).
After everyone left we had to start cleaning up and preparing for the next day's dinner.  We had a low key Christmas Eve with just the four of us.  We took a walk around our neighborhood to see the beautiful luminaries.
Dinner was leftovers and then a game of Settlers of Catan.  I bought the game last year and we finally got the girls to try it with us.  They were hooked.
My Christmas morning breakfast: tofu scramble, sweet potato hash and vegan stollen that my aunt made for us.
I was a bit obsessed with plaids and buffalo checks this year.  See my DIY Blanket Scarf tutorial for more cozy plaids and checks!
I made these Smoky & Spicy Nut, Sesame and Coconut Bacon Bar Nuts a few days before Christmas.  They are addictive!

 I also made The Best Shredded Kale Salad. I've made it before and the red of cranberries with the dark green kale really look Christmas-y to me!
 Another appetizer that we made was this Easy & Delicious Bruschetta.  It uses grape tomatoes and you can get the taste of a summer treat anytime of year (also red and green!).
Since our roasted veggies were such a hit on Thanksgiving, we made them again for Christmas. Other repeats were the Cornbread Dressing and Vegan Gravy.
Some of the appetizers.  We made two kinds of spinach artichoke dip.  This one was the Trader Joe's brand.  The vegan one I made was not very good.   I had the Extra Raw Vegan Cheese Ball in my freezer from last year so I defrosted it and it was still tasty!
Now this was my piece de resistance!  I have been wanting to make this Puff Pastry Wrapped Lentil Loaf for a long time and this was the year!  The savory lentil-nut filling can be made ahead of time. I made the loaves a few days before Christmas and wrapped them up well until ready to bake and serve.  I brushed almond milk on top of the pastry before baking and it wasn't dry at all.

Look how pretty it bakes up!  This was a show stopper and tasted as good as it looked.  We also served turkey breast, roasted potatoes and rolls for dinner.
 Here's my plate of vegan goodness!  Ok, now I'm hungry. What did you make/eat for your holiday get togethers?
 Let's keep in Touch!
Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Well I am hungry now!!!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Oh my, what a feast! You've given me several recipes to try! That baked fruit dish you had at Christmas Eve brunch sounds delicious! Love your Buffalo checks and all the details - can't we just go back to Dec 21st? I miss all the fun prep and festivities! Oh and your Ugly Christmas sweater is adorable :)

Creations By Cindy said...

Girl, you had some good eating looks like. I love all the different varieties of things you had for your families. We always do Christmas with my daughters, soninlove's and grands a few days before Christmas so we can actually sit down and enjoy one another. And I love watching the grands open their gifts and no one feels rushed. Each year we do something different with food. This year we chose to do soup, chili, salad and dessert. Last year we done steaks. Christmas Eve is with my husband's side of the family and each year we do something different there too. This year was BBQ, chips, dips and desserts. Christmas day is my side of the family and I cook a lot! LOL! Ham, turkey, dressing, gravy, well the Southern way to do a traditional Christmas dinner. I truly enjoy reading what others do with their meals during the holidays. We enjoy a huge family Thanksgiving as well with all the Southern holiday traditions of food so to be honest...I'd love to change things up on Christmas day! Especially since I just had those same foods a month earlier. Well Heather, I have taken over your post! Sorry! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Clairejustine oxox said...

So many yummy looking foods here Heather. Looks like you had a great Christmas! I love Cinnamon buns, yummy :) Thanks for sharing at the Wednesday blog hop.

Carla from The River said...

You all are so fun!! I love your celebrations. I need to visit just so I can eat! :-)
We played Settlers of Catan too. I won the first game we played. We played thru the Holiday week. My boys won the rest of the time.

Bliss said...

I need to live with you. You eat so healthy, and there is always plenty of food, yet you still look more amazing every year. But before I pack my bags, was that a tofu turkey or right off the bird?

Jessica Pelasky said...

Yum! Everything looks delicious!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Morgan said...

I'm sure you guys were busy hosting 2 events in one day! Everything looked so good! The quiche sounds so amazing! I love your Christmas sweaters and props!
The hot cocoa bar is such a great idea!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails