Monday, January 9, 2017

{DIY}Blanket Scarf (and how to use them in home decor)

What is a blanket scarf and how do you wear one?  Have you got a few of these versatile pieces in your wardrobe?  Don't know what I'm jabbering on about?  Blanket scarves are extra large, almost blanket like in size and made of a soft, warm material (like a blanket).  
 To make your own you need some cozy fabrics.  I bought two yards of each.
I used my own blanket scarf as a guide for measuring.  Most blanket scarves are about 55-56 inches square.
 For the flannel I just folded it down into a triangle shape and cut off the excess.
Then all you need to do is start fraying the edges by pulling out the threads that run horizontally. This can be a bit tedious and time consuming but I did mine while watching tv.
To tie a blanket scarf:  Fold the scarf into a triangle and pick it up by the ends with the point facing down, hold in front of your body.  Criss-cross the two ends around the back of your neck, continue to pull until the ends are in front.   Tie the ends together and fluff up the scarf the way you like it.  For more tips about blanket scarves,check out this informative blog post.
I put my hair up if I'm wearing a blanket scarf so that it doesn't hang awkwardly on the scarf.  Also there is a lot of material and putting my hair up keeps it from overwhelming my face.
 They are awesome for keeping your neck warm with a jacket but also pretty darn stylish paired witha  sweater.
I've been know to take one with me to the movies or in the car for extra warmth. They really are versatile and practical.
I also use the scarves around my house to add some coziness to my winter decor. This scarf was from Charming Charlie and I put it on the end of our bed when the room was done up for Christmas.
Here's another blanket scarf on the back of a chair (it's near the front door so I can grab it if I need it on the way out). 
And to add a pop of color in the living room, I threw one over the piano bench.  So are you sold on the merits of owning a blanket scarf (and making your own)?! Already a fan?  Let me know in the comments.
 Let's Keep In Touch!


Pin It

8 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, I love the idea of a blanket scarf for home decor and it looks great on you too!
Thanks for share at C&C with J&J!
Enjoy the week.
Julie

Tamar SB said...

So versatile! I love the tartan pattern!

Muffinlf said...

I flipping love blanket scarves! I love the DIY tutorial. Awesome

Carla from The River said...

Yes, I am a fan. I am pinning :-) thank you for the great instructions.
I already can think of a place I will use mine, around the campfire. :-)
Perfect!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Love these and I happen to have quite a few! Love the idea of using them around the house for extra coziness! What a great DIY!

Creations By Cindy said...

I love blanket scarves. I just don't get to wear them often in Florida. A friend of mine buys the cheap blankets that you can buy at Walmart for around $3 and makes them. I think she said she actually made 2 or 3 for her little grandgirls out of one blanket. Thanks for sharing Heather. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jessica Pelasky said...

What neat ideas!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Morgan said...

I know this is about the blanket scarf (which looks awesome!), but I am in love with your bedroom curtains! I must have missed the post about them. They are so perfect!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails