Wednesday, July 20, 2016

{Recipe} Carrot Dogs

Carrot hotdogs may sound a little wacky but I decided to give them a try for 4th of July weekend. They won't taste exactly like real hotdogs but they are a much healthier, fat free alternative.
I used this recipe.
Ingredients:
4 organic carrots with their ends cut off to fit in a hotdog bun
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 TBS liquid aminos (or coconut aminos)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
a dash or two of Liquid Smoke
pepper to taste
 Gather your ingredients and some hotdog buns.
 Mix up the marinade with all of the ingredients, minus the carrots. Mine looks light here because I accidentally used coconut vinegar instead of coconut aminos so I had to remake it. #oops  This should be made in a container that can be tightly sealed for shaking.
Fill a large pot half way with water and bring to a boil, add carrots and cook on medium. Cook for about 5 minutes, checking to see if they're done by piercing with a fork. They should have a little snap to them.  Turn off heat and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process.
 Add the carrots to the marinade. I had some breakage.  Marinate for 3 hours or up to a few days.  I kept mine in the fridge for a few days and shook the container every once in awhile.  The marinade really smells like hotdogs!
 You can bake or grill the carrots.  I used my panini press.
 The fun part is in the toppings. Add your favorites.
 I put spicy brown mustard and sauteed onions on mine.
I served them with vegetarian baked beans (see a recipe here).  I think my 'dogs' got a little too soft from overcooking but they were still tasty. 
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

ohh! That's cool. I bet this would be delicious if you roast them first, too!
I sometimes buy hotdog buns and make a pb and banana sandwich!

Carla from The River said...

I really appreciate that you share your recipes. You do such a good job with your tutorials. Thank You!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow that must taste really good Heather. I pinned this recipe to try out. Whenever we have pasta now I always use the flakes that you recommended. :)

Clairejustine oxox said...

Whoo what a great idea Heather. I would love to try one!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I am definitely going to try this, it really does look yummy and it looks like a hotdog without the mystery behind that concept ;)!

Jessica Pelasky said...

Haha...genius! :)

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for crafts, recipes, and tips: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails