Friday, July 8, 2016

Bryn Athyn:Lighting of the Landmarks

This might just be the "Summer of Staycations" for me.  I want to explore our local area and see more of the state, starting with this lovely gem.
Sometimes you don't realize the beauty that is right in your own backyard.  I drive by historic Bryn Athyn  pretty regularly but I hadn't been there in years.
They were hosting a special evening called Lighting of The Landmarks and opening up their gorgeous buildings to the public for special nighttime viewing.   My friend G, Miss High School and I all decided to go last minute. It had been storming earlier in the day so we were waiting that out. It cleared up and off we went.  We started out in the Glencairn Museum. It was still light out but the sun was starting to set.  This started out as a family home for the Pitcairn family, built between 1928-1939.  
 We were imagining what it was like to host Christmas dinner here.   The museum is home to some amazing religious art.
 We took an elevator up 130 feet to the tower and were enamored by the views (once we got our bearings). #sweatypalms
 It was a little hazy that evening but in the distance off to the right are the lights of Philadelphia.  We were also looking over to the stunning Bryn Athyn Cathedral.
Here's a slightly better shot of Philly.  You may have to squint a little.
Of course we had to get a selfie.
It was so special to be up in the tower as the sun was setting.  We felt like this could be on an African savannah...all you could see was sky and trees.

Birds are displayed prominently throughout the architecture.
{Peacock mosaic}
 It was hard to drag ourselves away from the stellar views but we had other buildings to see.  This is the museum from the outside.
We were up in that tower! 
 The gardens are beautiful here too. I need to come back during the day.
 One last view of the cathedral from the tower.
 We made our way to the Cairnwood Estate.  The courtyards had us swooning.
 People were milling about on the veranda and the whole place was lit from within so you could get a glimpse of the interior.  They rent out this dreamy space for weddings and parties.
 I pulled out my tripod to get this shot. It was hard to see what I was doing in the dark though.
We finished our tour with the cathedral.
 Bryn Athyn Cathedral was built between 1913 and 1928 in both the Gothic and Romanesque styles.
 It serves as the place of worship and gathering place for members of the New Church.  Music was playing, candles were lit and we felt a hushed sense of wonder at the history and beauty of it all.
The music could be heard outside and it was such a beautiful evening.  It felt pretty magical to be walking around this incredible piece of history. I'd love to go back and do a photo shoot there during the day.
Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Pin It

9 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I am ALL about Staycations when you have so much beauty to enjoy all around! Love these photos and since we are a good 12 hours from Philly, love to enjoy it from your lens! Have a fantastic summer weekend my friend!

Tamar SB said...

What a fun night! These are so gorgeous!

Carla from The River said...

Wow, fun.Great photos and I can see you doing some amazing photos here for graduation, prom or other event. You have a special talent for capturing people.

Kathy McB said...

Ahhhh Cairnwood! This is where my daughter got married and where we had the reception!

Ida said...

Wow! What an amazing place. I can't imagine living in something that grand and the Cathedral was just as stunning. I do hope you go back during the day as well.

Bliss said...

Can you even imagine living there!

Mama Hen said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! You are right about not realizing the beauty that is so close. I remember when I lived in Manhattan I didn't see a lot of the things that I love to go and see now with my daughter. There are also places locally that I would love to see. The pictures you took are beautiful. Have a great night my friend!

Dawn Gross said...

Wow! Gorgeous! There are so many treasures in our state - neat that you're doing local exploring. Christmas dinner there would be pretty amazing!

Jessica Pelasky said...

Wow...SO pretty!! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails