Wednesday, July 6, 2016

{Tips & Tricks} Crock Pot Brown Rice For a Crowd

I'm always looking for ways to make entertaining a bit easier.   We needed a large amount of rice for College Girl's graduation party (taco bar) and I was worried I'd end up burning it if I was making it close to party time.
It's the kind of thing that needs to be made pretty close to serving so I was hoping to find an easier way to make it.
 Enter my favorite kitchen secret weapon, the trusty crock pot!!   This recipe makes A LOT (16 servings) so if you don't need that much you might want to scale it back and adjust cooking times. Rice freezes well though so you could also batch cook it and freeze smaller servings of it.  We eat a lot of rice around here so after the party I made it again (forgot to take pics of the finished product the first time.) #hostessbrain  I keep it in the fridge and add a little water to it, then microwave for 2 minutes with some wax paper over it and it's perfect.


 Crock Pot Brown Rice
16 servings
Ingredients:
4 cups of brown rice
8 cups of water
1 tsp salt (or more to taste) *optional
Olive oil or cooking spray 
Grease crock pot with olive oil or cooking spray to keep the rice from sticking (I've used both methods).  Add brown rice, water and salt (if using) to the crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours.  You can check and stir along the way if you like (I did).  Crock pots and cooking times may vary.  I think mine is a 6 quart.
 I was really nervous since I hadn't tested out this method before the party and after 2 1/2 hours it looked like it would never be done in time. I was going to make another pot of rice on the stove but the rice started to absorb the water after about 3 hours (phew!!) and it was perfectly cooked in 4!
You should serve immediately but of course at a party you can't always do that. I turned it to the "keep warm" setting and it did get a little dry sitting in the crock pot for a few hours but I didn't hear any complaints and it was still quite tasty!  I could have added some oil or butter to the rice but I didn't think of it at the time.
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

12 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Great tips! I've never done this but we do taco bars a lot for birthday parties and stuff. Thanks for sharing, I'll be definitely doing this next time! Looks much easier!

Tamar SB said...

Now that is cool!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather,

I love this idea of making rice in the crock pot! I pinned and I will try this out. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your day.

Julie

Mama Hen said...

I don't have a crock pot but would like to get one. Which ones would you recommend? This sounds fantastic, especially when lots of people are coming over. I love simplifying things where I can. Thanks for the great ideas. Have a wonderful day my friend! :-)

Creations By Cindy said...

Thanks Heather. I will surely give this a try! I always cook my rice in the microwave and have always had great luck with it. Never tried it in a crockpot. But If I can make candy in the crock pot surely I can make rice...right? Hugs and blessings, Cindy

likeschocolate said...

What a great idea on how to make brown rice which is kind of tricky to make in the first place. Yummy!

Morgan said...

I didn't know you could cook it in the crock pot! That's pretty cool. I have the lazy woman's way - I use my rice cooker. It's just so easy and cooks pretty fast! If we're having rice I just toss it and the water in and the rice cooker does it's thing while I make the rest of the meal. I just add whatever I want in at the end (herbs, butter, whatever). I love that thing. :)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

@MamaHen I have a Hamilton Beach 6 QT and it works well for all of our crock pot needs!

Carla from The River said...

A great tip! Thank you.
Carla

Bliss said...

I picked up a giant rice cooker new at a garage sale, but the crock pot method might be worth a try as well since I'm always making rice for a crowd!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks Heather for sharing this recipe with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J. :)

Jessica Pelasky said...

What a neat idea!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipe, crafts, and tips: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails