Wednesday, November 18, 2015

{Entertaining} Chili Cook-Off Halloween Party

Hosting a Chili Cook-Off Party was on my Fall Bucket List last year and one thing I didn't get to check off.

#bucketlistfail
So when Halloween was rolling around this year and it was my turn to host the neighborhood get together, I decided to combine the two events. Most everyone was up for the chili throw down but those that weren't, opted to bring other goodies.
The set up was pretty easy, which was good for me since I was pretty burnt out after hosting two Sweet 16 parties for Miss High School that month (see them here and here.)  I made wooden spoon "prizes" by painting the handles in contrasting colors.
I created the ballots with some free clip art and tried to come up with four good categories (we had 4 entries and I wanted everyone to go home with a prize).  Each wooden spoon got a tag with a category.
 Then I had to come up with my costume. I kind of liked being a dark brunette.
Mr. Click wanted to be John and Yoko which we managed to pull off with only having to buy our wigs and his t-shirt (all from Amazon).
 I found a Day of the Dead cookie decorating set at Wal-Mart.
 I thought they'd be a fun activity for the guests and also a take-home favor.
We set up the dining room table to hold all of the food, which was mostly chili and fix-ins (cheese, sour cream, Fritos, chopped onions and tomatoes.
I also made corn muffins and baked potatoes. 
The tags and printables were from here.  The straws were left over from other parties.
 The mantle got a little spookier and I didn't dust for a week.
 I shamelessly stole borrowed this idea right from Bliss.
We kept the appetizers simple: tortilla chips & salsa and Angie's Pumpkin Spice Popcorn(so good!).
We used these little containers for tasting. They are the same ones I used for my Irish Night 2013 and the Grown Up Pudding Shots.
 The guests arrived and had a cocktail (I made my signature Apple Pie Punch).
 

The tasting and voting began.  Here, they are making notes and some tasting is happening. The tiny spoons were perfect for those little cups. I found them at Wegman's in the catering section.  I could only taste the vegetarian one so I didn't vote.
His chili was the winner of Best Overall and he was quite pleased with himself.
 After the tasting and voting, we dug into the chili and fix-in's for real.   Some guest made Chili In a Jar (though I didn't snap a photo of one).  Chili In a Jar=Mason Jar with layered corn bread, chili & toppings. They looked so cute! They also got into the cookie decorating.
The night was a lot of fun and I'm pretty sure (hopeful) that the chili cook-off tradition will continue!
Peace & Love!
Let's Keep in Touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Pin It

10 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

You have the best parties! Girl...if we lived close to one another I got a feeling that between your parties and mine we would do nothing but PARTY! LOVE it all. I love how you painted the bottoms of the wooden spoons. What a cute idea! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I love your costumes! I also love that you throw such fun parties, I'm going to put this on my bucket list for 2016!! Can you imagine if we lived closer? We always would be bumping into one another at target and I probably follow you around like a little lost puppy!

Carla from The River said...

You have the best parties!! I love it. You are so creative.
So I need to tap into your creative brain! We are hosting a Christmas party for some friends. Any fun ideas?
Carla

Tamar SB said...

What a fun idea - I love how creative you are with your decorating!

Becky said...

You make your parties seem so easy! This looks like so much fun!

Ida said...

Well you know how to throw a great party and I loved your costumes.

Dawn Gross said...

Fun idea for a party!

Jessica Pelasky said...

This sounds like such a great idea! How fun! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J. Happy Thanksgiving!

Bliss said...

You know I'm gonna do a chili cook off now! And adding baked taters, so smart, I love a chili potato with sour cream, cheese.... mmmmmmm. Thanks for the shout out too!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

What a fun party and I like your ideas!
Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
Enjoy the weekend!
Julie

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails