Monday, November 16, 2015

{Recipe}Vegan Chickpea "Tuna"

Is it Monday already? I feel like I've been gone for weeks and it has almost been a full week since I last blogged. My laptop had a little power issue last week and had to be taken to the hospital Apple Store. I felt so out of it without my trusty MacBook by my side and tried to keep up with my Iphone but it's not the same. The laptop is all better now and I can get back to blogging!  
 I promised to share my Vegan Chickpea Tuna recipe that I served at Miss High School's  Sweet 16 Family Bagel Brunch.    It was a hit at the party and people could not believe it was made out of chickpeas. 
 {Ingredients}
1 (15.5 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, finely chopped (I like a lot of celery in my tuna)
2 TBS vegan mayonaise (I used Trader Joe's brand)
1 tsp celery seed
1-2 tsp dried minced onion
1-2 sheets of roasted seaweed snacks (optional), cut into tiny pieces
salt & pepper to taste
 To make the "tuna":
Mash the chickpeas. The easiest method I've found for this is in the food processor for a couple of pulses.  You can also use a blender but my Vitamix is a little too powerful and I have to be careful not to turn them into hummus. Alternately you could mash the chickpeas in a bowl with a potato masher or fork.
Place mashed chickpeas in a bowl.
 To the mashed chickpeas, add onion, celery, seasonings and mayo. I don't like a lot of mayo, so you might want to add more than I suggest. The seaweed snack gives it a little seafood like taste but it's still very good without it.  Stir it up and serve.  This makes 2-4 servings.
 I love it on a toasted bagel thin or just scooped onto crackers or all by itself with a fork!
Are you game to try some vegan tuna?  Let me know if you do!!

Let's Keep in Touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J

Pin It

7 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I WILL DEFINITELY be trying this! I can't wait - it looks delicious, thanks for sharing! Hope you had a good weekend - Monday already!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather,
This looks so yummy and an easy recipe.
So glad you have the computer back! Have a wonderful day!
Julie xo

Tamar SB said...

Oo that sounds so tasty!

camp and cottage living said...

If I can find a can of chick peas, I'm making this!
I just saw a special on how good chick peas is for your gut...
I was going to make tuna salad today, but it's time to try something new.

Jessica Pelasky said...

Definitely a neat recipe!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Becky said...

I can't get over how much it LOOKS like tuna too! Awesome!

Carla from The River said...

You bet, I will be giving it a try. :-)
Carla

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails