Monday, April 3, 2017

What's Hygge and How Do You Get It?

I think I stumbled across the word hygge (pronounced hoo-ga) when I was looking for some cozy winter decorating ideas on Pinterest. After that it seemed like I kept seeing the word everywhere I looked and found out that hygge isn't just a wintertime thing.
 This book helped me figure out what hygge is all about.  It's a Danish word that loosely translates as a sense of comfort, togetherness and well being.  Who doesn't want more of that all year round?!

{Hygge Essentials}

Soft Lighting:
Candles

Twinkle Lights
Fireplaces

Fire Pits
Chimineas

Food/Drink:
or
Make a big pot of soup to feed a crowd and make the house smell delicious.
A great mug for a warm drink
Add some extra sweetness
Cozy Furnishings:
Blankets (to snuggle up with a good book)


Host some Get Togethers for friends and family:
Hygge is better shared
Natural wood elements are quite hygge too

Unplug and Get Outdoors
Go for a walk without your phone
Play cards
Go for a bike ride

From the looks of things, I've already got a lot of hygge in my life but I'm always up for adding more!
Check out this book if you want to learn more about hygge.
Let's Keep In Touch!
Pin It

9 comments:

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

I need this book!
I am picking up my camera and thinking about trying the manual mode. I spent the weekend frustrated and feeling like the iphone is "good enough." then I read your 365 project challenge... where do i find a beginner one? laura

Tamar SB said...

Well I learned something new!!

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

I think of hygge when sitting in a pub at the weekend or a family meal where we're all around the table. In the summer it may be reading in the garden or drinking an aperol spritz

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

Postscript. Currently it will be just catching a train home from work on time

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Hmmmm! I've never heard of it, very cool! Thanks for filling me in! Oh my goodness - playweek has arrived!

Creations By Cindy said...

YES I want more hygge!!! Love all the pictures Heather. You amaze me with your photography skills and have such a great eye for things. Well, now I think I might just need to add some extra hygge to my life! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, I never hear of this before hygge. I will have to find this book to read. Thanks for sharing this at C&C with J&J.
Enjoy the week.
Julie

Ida said...

What an interesting word. Enjoyed all the examples of how to achieve it.

Carla from The River said...

I love this!
I am checking the book out. Thank you!
Carla

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails