Tuesday, August 11, 2015

{Recipe} Dad's Marinade For Chicken and Other Things

I thought for sure I had posted this recipe somewhere along the line but I only referenced it here way back in 2010.  Let me start by saying that I don't like the regular "red" barbecue sauce that you buy in a bottle. It's way too sweet for me. I much prefer this savory marinade/sauce.
Even though most of us don't eat chicken anymore, I had a craving for this marinated chicken and thought I'd try it on some faux chicken breasts as well as the real thing for our 4th of July festivities.  My dad used to make this all of the time and the smell of the grill with this chicken on it, reminds me of him.  
It's actually his dad's recipe which I found out when I looked through our family cook book for the actual recipe.
This recipe is super flexible and forgiving so you really can't go wrong if you don't have everything on hand or don't like the taste of one ingredient or another.   Just switch it up! I think I make it a little differently every time.  It can be used for chicken or beef (and now for other things as well).
Sift together:
2 TBS flour
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
Add to this mixture:
1 cup oil(I used olive)
3/4 cup wine vinegar (I used a combo of balsamic and apple cider vinegars)
1/4 cup lemon juice
6 TBS of following sauces in proportions to suit your taste:
I usually use 2 TBS of each to make up the 6 TBS
Worcestershire Sauce (I used vegetarian)
Soy Sauce (I used Liquid Aminos)
A1 Sauce(surprisingly vegetarian!)
2 bouillon cubes (I used vegetable base), use chicken or beef if you like
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup wine(red, white, whatevs)
Warm the liquid ingredients in a medium sauce pan.
Sift in the dry ingredients and whisk/cook until browned and thickened.
This makes enough marinade/sauce for approximately two pounds of chicken with a little extra kept aside for basting.
If you are making more you can extend the recipe by adding:
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup wine
1 TBS sauce (Worcestershire, A1 or soy)
We marinated about 1 pound of boneless/skinless chicken thighs and...
...three of the faux chicken breasts (I used Wegman's brand).
Marinate for a few hours or overnight.  I also saved some of the sauce to marinate some cubed tofu (also turned out great but we didn't grill that).
We grilled the chicken on foil along with corn on the cob (in the husks).
When the chicken was almost done, we put the faux chicken breasts on the grill.
They cook up really quickly. 
The corn got all blackened and yummy.
I made a quick corn salad.
It consisted of roasted corn, diced cherry tomatoes, diced red peppers, diced yellow onion, olive oil & salt and pepper.  The perfect side to our chicken and chicken type dinners!

Let's Keep in Touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Pin It

6 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

Looks so yummy!

Tamar SB said...

Mm! We discovered and fell in love with the TJ Siracha BBQ sauce - not the usual flavor and awesome. We may have to try this before summer is out!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

This marinade looks so good and I bet it makes the chicken taste good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy...I had my first sweet corn of the summer this weekend. :-))

Becky said...

Chicken and chicken type, too funny. This actually had my mouth watering just reading it! Love grilled corn too!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This marinade looks amazing, thanks for sharing! Corn is a must for us this wewkend, we haven't had it yet this Summer!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails