Tuesday, July 21, 2015

{Garden} Eggshell Pest Repellent

We have this little vegetable garden.
It started out looking like this in May when Miss High School planted it.
 By July it was looking like this. It was looking vibrant and healthy except for the Japanese eggplant leaves on the far left. They were being attacked by some kind of nasty pest.  The underside of the leaves were covered in yucky beetles!
 I read up on natural pest repellents and egg shells seem to do double duty in the garden. They need to be clean and dry to be used for this.
 Then whir them up in a blender.
 The shards are good for keeping crawly critters at bay (like slugs).  The fine powder can be applied directly to the leaves.
I think the eggplant is a goner but I'm still going to try and keep the rest of the garden healthy.
Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J

Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

How cool! Bummer about the eggplant, though!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather so sorry to hear about you plant. This looks like a good & natural to use on the plants. I would love to have you share this at my party I co-host! Thanks. Have a nice week.
Julie xo

camp and cottage living said...

I'll have to give this a try. I don't have any bugs yet, but it might be good for prevention of any.

ANDYSTYLE said...

cool :)

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I was just telling my husband that I wanted to find a natural repellent since were going to be in the thick of it. I will definitely be trying this! Last year I used and an all natural garlic spray I think this might work even better!

Creations By Cindy said...

Heather, so sorry about the eggplant but thanks for the tip on the egg shells. WOW! I planted just a couple of eggplants last year and they made well. This year I didn't though. My garden did not do as well as I would have liked for it too this year but I think I will plant a few things in Sept. and see how it goes. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Becky said...

Interesting about the eggshells! We have something nibbling on my hydrangea out front, I wonder if this would help?

Carla from The River said...

A very helpful hint! I will try it. :-)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails