Wednesday, July 1, 2015

{Recipe} Healthy, Homemade Marinara Sauce

Usually Mr Click and Miss High School make a huge batch of spaghetti sauce in the fall and we freeze it in Ziplock bags.  It gets us through the winter but by summer, it's all gone and I'm back to buying jar sauce.  Making my own, small batch version seemed like a good plan once I started reading the labels of the jarred stuff. 
It was also a lot easier than I thought it would be.  
So if you want a quick and healthy marinara, this is for you too!
Ingredients: (6-8 servings)
1-28 ounce jar of crushed tomatoes
1-14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped (I used red)
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced *see note below
2-4 TBS tomato paste (see my easy frozen sliced storage method for tomato paste here)
Spices: Chopped, fresh (or frozen) basil, oregano, salt & pepper
*My garlic cloves were huge so I only used two.
Saute the chopped onion and minced garlic on medium heat until soft (you can use olive oil or cooking spray or just "sweat" the veggies like I did.
Add remaining ingredients and spices to taste.
Add 1-2 bay leaves.  
Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered on low for about 15 minutes (or longer).
I made eggplant parmesan with some of the sauce.
Yum!
I had enough left over for another small jar of sauce to keep in the fridge (keeps 3-5 days in fridge or can be frozen for longer storage).
Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J


Pin It

8 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

You're back! I've missed you! Well, If was closer I would share some of my fresh picked basil and oregano with you! The sauce looks yummy. Pinning it today. I love eggplant parm. but of course I want the chicken too! LOL! Happy Wednesday. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

camp and cottage living said...

Wow, that looks quick and easy, Heather.
And I always have those ingredients on hand.

Jules said...

The eggplant parmesan looks delicious!!!!!!!!

Tamar SB said...

Sounds so good!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe for marinara sauce! Have a nice end to the week & Happy 4th of July!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I can't wait to make it! I've been buying organic for a while now but this looks delicious and worth a little extra effort! Yum!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

PS Happy 4th!

Jessica Pelasky said...

I totally pinned this because I'm in need of a new recipe! Mine keeps getting watery each year! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails