Tuesday, January 24, 2012

{Recipe} Red Pepper Soup with Balsamic Reduction

I just started getting Vegetarian Times(thanks to a magazine fundraiser at my kid's school) and I'm really enjoying it. Love the recipe index in the back, I can quickly look up vegan recipes for my newly-Veganized daughter.
We all liked the sound of Red Pepper Soup with Balsamic Reduction so I gave it a whirl.
First you make the balsamic reduction by combining 1 cup of balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup of agave nectar.  Bring to a boil in a small saucepan, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Let cool.
To make the soup you'll need:
3TBS olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
1 large shallot, diced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 large red bell peppers, diced
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.  Add red onion, sweet potato, Yukon gold potato and shallot.  Cook 5-7 minutes.  
Add cumin, pepper flakes garlic. Saute 3-5 minutes.
Add broth (I make mine with Better Than Bouillon and water).
and red peppers. Bring to a simmer.
Cook 30 minutes or until peppers and potatoes are soft.
Blend soup in batches until smooth (and immersion blender works nicely for this but I used my regular blender--very carefully).  Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon into bowls and drizzle each serving with the Balsamic Reduction.
I'm also participating in Debbiedoo's Magazine Copy Cat Challenge.
I was inspired by the photo in the magazine to make a fancy design on top of the soup.
I used a medicine dropper and a bamboo skewer, pretty fancy I tell ya!
Linking up with:


Pin It

5 comments:

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

This sounds wonderful. I made a soup tonight in fact, I love soup!

Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing said...

Thanks for linking this up Heather...

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh, I love me some soup. All year round. Gotta try this. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Mmmm, this looks absolutely delicious! I loooove red pepper and balsamic vinegar!

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

So great...love that you are now getting Vegetarian Times -- it is such a remarkable and fabulous publication -- this soup is awesome and is on my lists to make -- thanks for sharing and LOVE your presentation! I adore finding more vegetarian creations so I am going to be watching -- your newest follower :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails