Monday, January 23, 2012

{Getting Crafty} Snowy Garland

I was looking for something 'snowy' to hang under the mantel but couldn't find anything that I liked.
My cream and white decorated mantel looked nice but it felt a little empty without a garland hanging underneath it.
My daughter before her formal(a good shot of the whole fireplace).
Off to Michael's I went to pick up some supplies.  I got these white glitter felt stickers and mini styrofoam balls.  I already had the white yarn from another project.
 
When I got home I also pulled out my Martha Stewart glitter set and some spray adhesive.
I started by making yarn balls, just wrapping the styrofoam balls in yard. I didn't use any glue, I tucked the ends in and under the yarn.  I kept wrapping until I liked how it looked.
I decided six snowballs would be enough.
They got a spritz of spray adhesive and a sprinkle of silver glitter 
and a sprinkle of crystal glitter.  Let them dry.

























Once the snowballs were dry, it was time to put the garland together.  I measured out the yarn on my table and threaded one end through a darning needle.


To make it easier to string the snowballs on the yarn, I first pierced them with a bamboo skewer to make a pilot hole and then pulled the needle and yarn through the snowball.
I spaced out the snow balls along the yarn and then added the snowflakes.  I peeled a little of the backing off and sandwiched the yarn between the sticky part and the backing.   I wasn't sure how well it would hold but they have held pretty well. I might hot glue them on if they become a problem.

Then it was time to see how it looked.  I kept the ends of the yarn very long until I knew how long I wanted it to be and how I wanted it to hang.
I use these brick hooks to hold all of our garlands. They don't damage the brick and can hold a lot of weight. This garland is really light so I could have used mini command hooks under the mantel.
I decided I needed one more snowball once I saw it hanging up there.
I experimented with different lengths of the garland.  Here it was hanging a little lower than I ended up hanging it.
I tightened up the sides and pulled it up closer to my cherubs, then trimmed the ends down.
Some close ups of the garland.
It's simple but I love it!
It didn't break the bank either=under $8.


Linking up with:
Pin It

17 comments:

Okio B Designs said...

Your mantel is beautiful! Love your yarn balls - so cute! Coming over from Between Naps on the Porch and your newest follower.

Jeanine

Sue said...

Your winter white mantel is very pretty. What a fun addition of the garland. How clever to make the glittery little snowballs, too. :-)
Visiting from Susan's party.

Cindy said...

Cute! I LOVE those little snowballs, so adorable. Your mantle is gorgeous! XO Cindy

Rachael said...

Very pretty, I love winter decorating. Nice work.

Rachael said...

I love winter decorating, nice work.

Abbie said...

LOVE this! So simple, yet such a perfect finishing touch to an already gorgeous mantel!

I would absolutely love it if you would link this up at my FREE-FOR-ALL linky party going on right now!

http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/01/feature-friday-free-for-all-3-50.html

So looking forward to seeing you there!

P.S. I'm a new follower. : )

~Abbie

Abbie said...

P.P.S. (: )) Every link is an entry to win a free Cutting Edge Stencil

Katie said...

I love this garland!

laxsupermom said...

Love this project! So creative! It's the perfect addition to your winter mantel! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Your daughter is gorgeous! Oh to be a teen(or just have a teenaged metabolism) again!

Mary said...

Cute garland, love the snow balls! Visiting from Made By You

Mel said...

That garland is just adorable. Love the little yarn balls and the glitter was the perfect finishing touch.

Crafty Mischief said...

So pretty and yet so simple! I found you through The Blackberry Vine. Thanks for sharing! :)

Michelle said...

Oh, what a cute garland. I saw you have that kit of Martha Stewart glitter....I have been wanting to buy that forever. Just love Martha and all things glitter. :)

The Southern Product Queen said...

I love your mantle... And your black dress too! This is a great post! I'm having a linky party as well, and would love for you to join it! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-s... Thanks for sharing!

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This garland is stunning and so simple! Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration.

Jami said...

Your garland is the perfect touch to finish your mantle! Thanks for stopping by and linking up to the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Amanda @ Ninth Street Notions said...

Very simple project! I love that. Thanks for linking up to I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you share this week.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails