I was looking for something 'snowy' to hang under the mantel but couldn't find anything that I liked.
My cream and white decorated mantel looked nice but it felt a little empty without a garland hanging underneath it.
My daughter before her formal(a good shot of the whole fireplace).
Off to Michael's I went to pick up some supplies. I got these white glitter felt stickers and mini styrofoam balls. I already had the white yarn from another project.
When I got home I also pulled out my Martha Stewart glitter set and some spray adhesive.
I started by making yarn balls, just wrapping the styrofoam balls in yard. I didn't use any glue, I tucked the ends in and under the yarn. I kept wrapping until I liked how it looked.
I decided six snowballs would be enough.
They got a spritz of spray adhesive and a sprinkle of silver glitter
and a sprinkle of crystal glitter. Let them dry.
Once the snowballs were dry, it was time to put the garland together. I measured out the yarn on my table and threaded one end through a darning needle.
To make it easier to string the snowballs on the yarn, I first pierced them with a bamboo skewer to make a pilot hole and then pulled the needle and yarn through the snowball.
I spaced out the snow balls along the yarn and then added the snowflakes. I peeled a little of the backing off and sandwiched the yarn between the sticky part and the backing. I wasn't sure how well it would hold but they have held pretty well. I might hot glue them on if they become a problem.
Then it was time to see how it looked. I kept the ends of the yarn very long until I knew how long I wanted it to be and how I wanted it to hang.
I use these brick hooks to hold all of our garlands. They don't damage the brick and can hold a lot of weight. This garland is really light so I could have used mini command hooks under the mantel.
I decided I needed one more snowball once I saw it hanging up there.
I experimented with different lengths of the garland. Here it was hanging a little lower than I ended up hanging it.
I tightened up the sides and pulled it up closer to my cherubs, then trimmed the ends down.
Some close ups of the garland.
It's simple but I love it!
It didn't break the bank either=under $8.
Linking up with:Pin It