Monday, October 31, 2016

{Entertaining} Where'd You Go, Bernadette Book Club

Happy Halloween!! The past month was a busy one for us.  We've been hosting a party or get together each week(while painting the family room built ins). Tonight is our 2nd Annual Halloween Chili Cook Off (see last year's cook off here).   It was my turn to host book club this month and my book choice was the novel Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple. 
 Here's a quick synopsis of the book if you haven't read it- Where'd You Go, Bernadette is a 2012 comedy novel written by Maria Semple. The plot revolves around an agoraphobic architect and mother named Bernadette Fox, who goes missing prior to a family trip to Antarctica. It is narrated by her 15-year-old daughter Bee Branch. It is told in a series of documents (emails, memos, transcripts, etc.) with the occasional interlude by Bee.Wikipedia
I had a little fun with my guests and dressed up as Bernadette.  Thanks to G's mom for letting me borrow the perfect vest!
I decorated the family room with a mini ice berg, a penguin (from Antartica) and a map pillow.
We usually try and match our book club food with the book.   The book is set in Seattle and they do mention many restaurants and meals.  I decided to make Yellow Pepper Risotto based on a mushroom risotto from the book. 
I also made Mudslide Chocolate Mousse for dessert. I will post both recipes soon. The signs were inspired by this blog.  It was a fun night of book discussion, laughter and food (oh and wine!).  I highly recommend this book!!
Let's keep in touch!

Pin It

7 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Love this!! I need to put that on my to read list!

Summer said...

Love the photos ♥

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

SO MUCH FUN! I love that you get into it! That risotto looks delicious and I have got to check that book out! Have fun!

Morgan said...

I love everything about this! The books sounds like maybe it's a mystery novel? Or at least has a little mystery to it, which I love. :)
I appreciate the little food labels and that you dressed up. It's all in the details! :)
The yellow pepper risotto sounds soooo good.

I made farro for the first time the other day and we really enjoyed it. Have you tried that yet?

Carla from The River said...

You are so much fun. I still want to attend one of your book clubs. :-)

Clairejustine oxox said...

Aww, this is so sweet, love penguins :) I want one ..

Jessica Pelasky said...

SO Cute! I have this on my To Read list! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails