Thursday, January 14, 2016

{Recipe} Baked Falafel with Tahini Sauce

Falafah-what? Do you know falafel? I wasn't too fond of them a few years ago but now 
I love them!   If you don't know what they are, imagine spicy little chickpea balls of yumminess. 
They are usually deep fried for a crispy coating.  The thought of making them myself was intimidating to say the least. 
Miss HS and I were brainstorming some different lunch ideas for her and falafel was one thing we thought of--they are portable and can be eaten at any temperature, popped in some pita bread, eaten by themselves with some dipping sauce or even on top of a salad.   I found this recipe which demystified them a bit, using dried chickpeas (soaked overnight) to keep them together  and a mini muffin tin to bake them in.  I checked out a few other recipes and then adjusted this one to give it a try based on what I had in my kitchen.
Baked Falafel
Ingredients:
1 c. raw dried chickpeas soaked overnight(they will double in size)
1/2 red onion chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
3 cubes frozen cilantro
1-2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp tumeric (or less)
1/ 2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cardamon
1 tsp Kosher salr
1 tsp lemon zest
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
Cooking spray(I use TJ's coconut oil spray)
To prepare:
Preheat oven to 400 F
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray
Combine all ingredients in food processor except olive oil and pulse a few times to combine.
Add olive oil and pulse a few more times.
Use a mini scoop (or spoon) to scoop out mixture and place in muffin tins.  Press down lightly with scoop to make sure they are holding together.
Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.  Serve immediately with pita bread and/or the upcoming tahini sauce or cool on wire wrack, then refrigerate.
Super Quick Tahini Sauce:
Mix the following ingredients in a high speed blender (or by hand if you don't have one):
1/2 cup tahini paste (sesame seed butter)
2 TBS lemon juice
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
3-4 TBS water
Pour into a jar to store in the fridge. This can be thinned out with more water to make a salad dressing.  The sauce thickens up in the refrigerator.
Enjoy those spicy little bites!
They make a great snack or tasty meal.  Have you ever tried falafel?
Let's keep in touch!

Pin It

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Love me some falafel! I always bake mine - so much healthier!!
I also can put tahini on just about anything!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Heather,
Wow these look so good. I really want to try and make these sometime. Thanks for the recipe. Enjoy the weekend.
Julie xo

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I've never attempted these but I'm so happy you've shared a recipe I can try! These look so good, thanks for sharing!

Paige Rose said...

Mmmm those look so yummy! Happy Friday!!

Paige.Rose
from
www.TheQuaintSanctuary.blogspot.com

julia Pa said...

These sound great. I will try them. I follow clean eating and these fit it well! #weekendbloghop

Clairejustine oxox said...

I've not tried these before, they look tasty :)

Thanks for sharing a the weekend blog hop

Bliss said...

I have not had this. I keep hearing good things though.

Carla from The River said...

Something new for me. I have to go grocery shopping...adding some NEW to my list. ;-) Thank you!

Jessica Pelasky said...

I've never had these, but have always wanted to try them!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Morgan said...

I really love falafel!! I have been wanting to make it homemade for years, but didn't get a food processor until last summer. Now that I have one I can actually make them and I am going to have to try your recipe! They look so good!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails