Wednesday, December 30, 2015

{Recipe} Vegan Magic Cookie Bars

Magic Cookie Bars (also known by some as) 7 Layer Bars were a Christmas staple of my childhood. I remember making them every year and still have the original recipe taped in an old cook book of my mom's.  The 7 Layer bars used a variety of chips but my favorite way of making them is with just chocolate chips.
 I wanted to try and veganize them so I replaced butter with coconut oil and the sweetened condensed milk with sweetened condensed coconut milk.  I also used unsweetened flaked coconut instead of sweetened shredded coconut.  Since the recipe already called for coconut, I figured the added coconut products would only enhance the flavor of the bars and I was right.
 Dare I say that this version is BETTER than the original?!  They sure are irresistible and why we only make it once a year(twice this Christmas season!).
 Vegan Magic Cookie Bars
Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (make sure they are vegan)
1 (11.25oz) can sweetened condensed coconut milk (I used Nature's Charm brand)
1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
To make:
Preheat oven 350 F (325F for a glass dish). In 13 x 9 inch baking pan melt coconut oil in oven.  Remove pan from oven (but keep oven on).
Sprinkle crumbs over melted coconut oil, pour sweetened condensed coconut milk evenly over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients; press down firmly. Return pan to oven.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill thoroughly in fridge and remove to cut into bars.  Store in fridge or in airtight container (if they last!)
Enjoy!
Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking to:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Those look amazing!!!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I am adding these to my "must make" for next year. I'm always looking for a new yummy recipe to add into the rotation and I think I've found it! Thanks my friend!

Carla from The River said...

I like these too! I remember making them often as well and my mom too.
Great how you came up with this idea. Thank You!!

Clairejustine oxox said...

These look so yummy :)

Happy New Year Heather :)

Dee said...

Those cookie bars look so delicious. I think my family will love them. Thanks for sharing your recipe and Happy New Year!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Heather, wow I bet those bars were delicious.
Thanks for sharing the recipe at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Have a nice day and week.
Julie xo

Jessica Pelasky said...

These sound so delicious!!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Morgan said...

Yum, I have always liked these, but I am interested to try this version!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails