Our second day in Paris (day 1) started with visiting the iconic Tour Eiffel. We purchased tickets online to avoid the long lines.
See the lines...they were long!
The bubble is full of Christmas trees. Very pretty and festive but not enough to hold your attention while waiting for hours on line.


The tickets are for a set time and we were there early so walked around a bit until it was our turn to go up.
I was nervous about pickpockets and scammers but luckily we were only approached a few times to sign a fake petition (we did not).#justsaynon
Even the pedi-cab drivers were in the holiday spirit. When it was our time to go into the tower, we got in (a short) line and took the first elevator up to the 2nd floor.
The view is pretty spectacular from there.
We had tickets for the summit (all the way up) so we got in line again to take the next elevator. There is a lot of waiting in line at the Eiffel Tower, even with tickets. It's crowded and people can be pushy. They also announced regularly that "pickpockets were active in the tower" in many languages.

When you finally get to the top you can walk around the entire structure and get an amazing view of Paris.
As you can see it was kind of a grey day but still beautiful.
Did I mention the plethora of selfie sticks* we witnessed in Paris? No, we didn't buy one but we had to navigate through many attractions and be careful not to get smacked by one.
*selfie stick=arm that you attach to your phone for taking self portraits*
We walked around the Champs de Mars for a bit after seeing the tower.
Ecole Militaire
I was really surprised to see roses still blooming in December!
Beautiful architecture on our way to lunch.
Lunch was at Fermine, an Italian restaurant/pizzeria. I had the roasted vegetable platter and my first espresso. Yum on both! You can't really find regular brewed coffee in Paris (unless you go to Starbucks). I got used to daily espressos. This one came with a chocolate.
After lunch we walked to Invalides, the place of Napoleon's tomb.
His tomb is in this gorgeous old church.

As you descend the marble staircases there are sculptures and murals depicting Napoleon's contributions to France.
Napoleon's tomb
We also toured the military museum attached to the church.
I took a break at the cafe while the family finished touring the museum.
Espresso again!
We headed back to the apartment to relax before going back out that night.
Do you follow?




























17 comments:
So cool! You saw a bunch that day!
Selfie sticks crack me up - seriously people!? But I guess if you don't want to ask someone to take your photo they're helpful?
Wow!So cool.
I love that you captured the roses.
:-)
Carla
I am back to let you know, I will be sharing this with my boys. They will enjoy seeing Napoleon's tomb. Great photos!! :-)))
Beautiful pictures! Looking forward to seeing more! Pickpockets - sad and infuriating! All around or just at the big tourist attractions?
On gosh! Those selfie sticks were all over Germany too!
Wow looks like such a great adventure Heather!Thanks for sharing all your journey with us!
Travel Logo Designs
Such beautiful pictures, looks like an amazing time. I love the pics of you and your family - very chic!
Heather, we are planning a trip to Paris in Sept. IS it worth going to the top of the Eiffel tower? How long did you wait in line with the advance purchase ticket? Any other tips you can pass along are greatly appreciated. Private car vs taxi from airport is another question. Thanks, and I'm loving your journey.
Your recaps make me want to visit Paris more than ever now.....wonderful pictures!
Didnt you just love it up there?! Gorgeous! So much to take in :) I bet you're loving the recaps too, reliving all the fun moments!!
Sounds as if you enjoyed your visit to our Capital city despite the greyness and the long queues.
BTW I did find some cute TOD flats, perfect for my trip to the States in March,after reading your packing for the trip post!Merci!
Selfie sticks? I must live under a rock (or spend too much time in rural areas) because this is all new to me. ;))
Glad you got to see the view of Paris from the Eiffel Tower!
Can't top that post! Pariee! Wonderful photos and great time for you!
Happy Weekend coming to you,
artmusedog and carol
Very familiar pictures to me !
What fun! I so want to visit France someday.
Have you tried espresso with a lemon peel and a cube of raw sugar? Yumm! I enjoyed your photos. That statue was amazing. And, the views from the Eiffel Tower. Beautiful!
The View from the Top of the Ladder
What a great opportunity! Enjoyed your pictures!
Post a Comment