Tuesday, January 20, 2015

{Travel} European Vacation-Day 1 Paris

This was really a trip of a lifetime for our family and I'm so grateful that we got to experience it together.
We traveled overnight to Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport) and arrived around 8:00 am local time.  We had arranged for a car service to pick us up and then we'd all go get College Girl so she could move out of her dorm and move in with us.  This is where she had lived for the past four months.  Her school was about a half hour away by train/metro.
The driver contacted our rental company and found out that our apartment wasn't ready, it was only about 10 am by then so he drove us straight to the rental office. We were able to stow our bags there until the apartment was ready for us.  We took off to explore the area.   First we stopped for a quick snack and then to the Eiffel Tower (we were in walking distance).
Sleep deprived but happy to be together!
We explored some more on the outskirts of the Eiffel Tower.
We looked down at the Seine...
...and explored our first real European Christmas Village.
The Parisians are masters of display (macarons for days!) By this point we were feeling pretty tired and just ready to relax so we went back to the office to see if by any chance the apartment was ready a little early. It was! 
We walked over to the apartment with our greeter (Kevin) and he gave us a quick tour of the place with important information and tips. Thankfully there was a notebook full of the same info because I don't think I retained much of the info.   I couldn't stop staring at this view from the living room window!
This is the view from the master bedroom window.
One of the bathrooms
View of the living room/dining room and kitchen
Enjoying some cafe with my girl.
We took naps, made a trip to the grocery store and got settled in our new home for the week. The apartment is called Romanee.  I couldn't believe I was actually staying here.
That night we went to Rue Cler, a fancy shopping street near the apartment.
We scoped out some of the restaurants along Rue Cler (every menu is posted outside) and settled on Tribeca for our first dinner in Paris.  I had my first Salad Chevre Chaud (hot goat cheese salad). This one had lettuce, cooked green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots in a tangy vinaigrette dressing topped with melted goat cheese wrapped in puff pastry.  #mouthwatering
The house wine was delicious too.
We walked home along Rue Cler and then back to our street (Avenue de la Bourdonnais) where we saw this.
It doesn't get much better.  Or does it?

Do you follow?
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Alphabe-Thursday
Pin It

16 comments:

Jules said...

Fabulous first day recap....it looks so amazing! Your apartment looks great. You always hear about how small the hotels are in Paris, but it looks like you guys had the right idea with the apartment! Can't wait for day 2.

Tamar SB said...

How great to rent a place for the trip! So so so want to travel there now!

Emily, Our house now a home said...

What an amazing trip so far! Your apartment seems like it is a dream location. I will live vicariously through you on this European journey. I went to England, Scotland and a quick trip to Paris when I was in high school. I would love to go with my husband and kids one day. They are too little for a trip like this now, but in the future for sure! Can't wait to read more of your trip!

Emily- Our house now a home

Dawn Gross said...

I have been waiting for this post! My dream trip is Paris and London! You must have been so happy to see your daughter!! Can't wait to read more!

Kathy McB said...

Did you get your apartment thru Airbnb?

Kathy McB said...

Did you find your apartment thru AirBnb by chance?

Love Of Quilts said...

Keep the photos coming...the only way I'll ever see Paris. That salad was looking so good.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Wow, absolutely the trip of a lifetime! I love all the photos, the macaroons in the salad look absolutely amazing and I love the photo of the Eiffel Tower lit up at night. How long did you go for?

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my goodness~ You are having the time of your life aren't you? Such wonderful and fun pictures. Cannot wait to see more. I love to see pics of your trips as they always make me feel I am vacationing too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

You had a view of the Eiffel Tower from your apartment!!!! Awesome. Then with my keen eye I spotted..... the light above the dining table, Waldo in the mirror, College Girls long legs tres chic, and a lion in the tub!

Becky said...

Yay!!!! I've been waiting for this! I know you were exhausted, but beyond excited to see your girl AND be in Paris!!!

Carla from The River said...

FUN! Thank you for sharing it all with us. How was communication? Did you have a hard time?
So excited to hear more. :-)
Carla

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Sounds like you're taking advantage of every minute!

Brona Joy said...

Ahhh Paris such je ne sais quoi!

What a view you had from your apartment too!

Very envious - I look forward to part 2 :-)

Chrissy said...

oh my, that lion's head in the washroom. so great! =)

Jim said...

Oh Heather, you are making me want to be there some more!!!
I am sooo glad for you that you got to go. I will be anxious for your London report too.

We will also be doing a thing with our 'school girl' grandchild come May. She is graduating from High School in London, we, her parents, and her sister (our five-year-old grand-daughter) will go to see and to be at her prom.

Our daughter has been stationed in London for the last five years and came home this July. She works for BP and the kids went to school there. We would visit a couple of months at a time (both retired) but go someplace for a couple of weeks to give them some space. May may be our last time, we are planning on a Norway cruise then too.
..

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails