Tuesday, January 6, 2015

{Travel} What I packed for our European vacation

This trip was a lesson in outfit planning and packing for a cold weather vacation.  
I shared this photo on IG and the blog when I first started planning what I would pack for our trip.  Pinterest was a huge help, as usual!
 I stuck with a neutral palette of black/grey/navy and added in a few pops of color. I knew most of my outfits wouldn't be photographed since we were going to be outside for a lot of our shots so a nice coat and scarf combo would be necessary.
 I wanted a coat that was warm, mid thigh length,water proof, had a hood and was flattering.
So right before we left I went coat shopping and found this coat by Laundry at Macy's. The fur trim on the hood zipped off which was better for traveling. I left it at home.   I found a really soft blanket scarf as well and the colors worked with my coat but also with most of my outfits.
I tweaked the wardrobe, adding and taking away things but this was basically what I packed (some of the scarves aren't shown but I did pack four of them).   I wanted to be able to wear everything at least twice and wanted everything to work together. We had a  washer/dryer at our apartment in Paris so I knew I'd be able to wash things if needed. 
I borrowed this bright green suitcase from a friend. It was awesome for spotting on baggage carousels. College Girl had one of our big suitcases with her so it was nice to be able to borrow one for the trip. We all tried to pack lightly because we knew CG had accumulated things over the past 4 months and we wanted to leave space for them.  Airline regulations are very strict and bags have to weigh 50 pounds or less.  You can see I have a lot of room left, I could fit another whole layer of clothes. I went back and forth about bringing my denim jacket but after checking the weather and talking to my daughter, I thought it would be too cold for it (it was!).
{ps: my mirror isn't dirty, it's old and mottled, like me!}
This was my travel day outfit: {new} black yoga pants, long olive tank top, chambray button down, black cardigan.  I kept the blanket scarf in my carry-on to wrap up in on the plane. It was so cozy! I also wore my boots and packed my 'fur' linedTOMS. They were the only two pairs of shoes that I brought. I wanted black, comfy, waterproof boots with a bit of a heel. I found a pair from Clark's that fit the bill. They worked out great and my TOMS were nice balance for when I wanted a comfier flat.  Yoga pants were nice for traveling overnight and would double up as pj's or lounge pants later when we got to London and would be spending a lot of time in the Executive Lounge of our hotel.

Linking up with:
Alphabe-Thursday
Creative Inspirations
Do you follow?
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Pin It

18 comments:

Tamar SB said...

You are a packing expert!!

Kathy McB said...

OMG Heather...did you have a sneak peak at MY luggage for my trip in December??!!?? Haha....IDENTICAL right down to the thigh length, waterproof coat with the detachable fur collar (which I left behind too!). The only difference? I got mine at Nordstrom Rack! :) You done good! One thing I'll add (maybe you had it and just didn't mention it) is that I always pack a foldable/zippered tote that I can use if my purchases are greater than my luggage space. It's great! I just check it at the airline too.

Trish C said...

You were having a great time before you even got to Paris. Glad you had such a great adventure.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Love your tips here and your outfit look absolutely perfect, adorable and comfortable for travel! Chic too :)

Creations By Cindy said...

Sang girl, you can pack a suitcase! I love it! I need to take some packing lessons from you. Last time I was gone for just two night my poor suitcase looked like a hurricane had went through it! Happy New Year! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Carla from The River said...

You ROCK girl. Wow,you did a great job. I will take notes from you.
Thank you for the advice.
Carla

Becky said...

love this post!! I love traveling in yoga pants or in the summer a yoga type skirt!!

Chrissy said...

i love this post! such great inspiration and so well thought out (but still fun!). saved to favorites for quick reference for the next time i need to pack. =)

Jules said...

You are an excellent packer...I would have freaked out and stuffed the biggest suitcase I could find. Yes, I'm ridiculous like that.

edenhills said...

Takes talent to pack like that!

Pondside said...

Well done! It's easy to pack for the tropics, but a challenge to pack for winter weather. I like the idea of the Tom's - I'm filing that for future trips!

Maggie said...

You certainly know how to pack a suitcase, keeping to a simple colour palette is the key. I don't know what TOM'S are but I'm sure google will tell me! Hope you're trip was wonderful.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Excellent! What a good job.

EG CameraGirl said...

Excellent packing!

Gattina said...

As I live in Europe, for me it would be the other way around, lol !

Su-sieee! Mac said...

That was fun reading your post. I'm not traveling anywhere for a long while so I got to live packing to travel vicariously through you. I enjoy prepping for packing. :-)

storybeader said...

I always try to match colors when I travel, and leave enough room to by new things. Neat idea of colored scarfs! {:-Deb

Pamela Beers said...

Packing?! I just throw a few things in a dufel bag and hope for the best.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails