Wednesday, August 14, 2013

{Recipe} Summer Vegetable Cobbler

Like the Fresh Corn and Tomato Linguine recipe that I posted in July, this recipe is also from Taste of Home (June/July 2013).  I just noticed that his recipe came in first place in their "Summer in a Bowl" contest and the Fresh Corn and Tomato recipe won the Grand Prize!  Can I pick some winners or what?  This was a hearty weeknight dinner that we all enjoyed.  It's a little different to have a savory cobbler but why should cobbler only be for dessert?
I didn't make it vegan but the butter and milk could easily be swapped out for non-dairy versions.
Ingredients:
2 TBS butter
3 small zucchini, sliced
1 red pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS all-purpose flour
1 cup  2% milk (I used non fat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Biscuit Topping
1 cup all purpose flour (I used half whole wheat, half all-purpose)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 TBS cold butter
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (omit if making vegan)
3 TBS minced fresh basil
1/2 cup 2% milk (I used non fat)
Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large skillet, melt buter over medium high hea. Add zucchini, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.  Add garlic, cook 1 more minute.
In a small bowl, whisk flour, milk, salt and pepper. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir about 2 more minutes or until sauce is thickened. 
Spoon into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
For topping:
In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in cheese and basil. Add milk, stir until just moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls over filling.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown.
Dig in!!

Linking up with:


Pin It

11 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

What a neat and simple recipe. Never heard of this but I know I would love it. Have a great day Heather!

Tamar SB said...

Ok, this is creative!!

I've been pinning some easy one pan veggie recipes for fall. I found a few that are vegan approved and I can't wait to try them!

Lisa Denise said...

So Yum.


Lisa x

Katie said...

This is a really cool idea! It sounds delicious, and I like the idea of making a savory cobble! Totally pinning this right now :)

Dawn said...

That is looking super delicious!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This looks wonderful. My guys would love the biscuits.

Yolanda Ronaldo said...

This looks so awesome!

Pride In Photos said...

I love how it has both characteristics in this dish, healthy but hearty♥ YUMMO!

Becky said...

This looks so good! I had a subscription to that magazine, years ago, loved it!!

Scudds said...

Drooling ;) Looks very yummy!

Hugs,
Scudds

Bliss said...

Gonna pin this from the big girl computer when I get there.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails