Tuesday, November 22, 2011

{Recipe} Roasted Vegetable Stacked Enchiladas

I've been trying to expand my vegetarian repertoire and we love Mexican food so this recipe looked perfect.  The idea of stacking rather than rolling the enchiladas intrigued me.
 This recipe starts with yummy roasted veggies. Pick what you like.   I used peppers, onions, zucchini and fennel. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes in a 400 F oven.
I loosely followed the recipe. 
 I used what I had on hand like these flour tortillas and our favorite Cuban style black beans.
 In the meantime I also started some Cilantro Lime Rice.  I love this lemon/lime juicer!
 I made the rice with this handy product.
 I use it all the time when a recipe calls for vegetable broth.  Just mix it with water.
 Another life saver is frozen chopped cilantro. 
The rice is delicious. I don't have any photos of it but trust me. It's even better than than the rice at Chipotle!
 OK, so back to the enchiladas.  Once the vegetables are roasted, combine them with the black beans and spices.
Layer like lasagna starting with enchilada sauce, then tortillas to cover the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan, then a layer of the vegetable/bean mixture and some Mexican blend cheese. 
Repeat with two more layers.
 Cover the last layer with cheese and foil.
 Bake at 350 for 20 minutes then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes until it's all melty and bubbly.
Let cool for 10 minutes (if you can wait that long) then cut into squares to serve warm.
Sooo good!

Pin It

4 comments:

Larri @ Seams Inspired said...

Oh.My.Goodness. I'm so trying this. Thanks for sharing. It looks delish! Happy Tuesday! ☺

Celestial Charms said...

This looks absolutely devine. So original too. My hubby was born in Mexico, so I'm going to surprise him with this unique take on a Mexican classic. So glad I stumbled upon your blog.
Maureen

Love Of Quilts said...

Thanks! Have a good Thanksgiving. Trish

mo said...

Your pictures are wonderful.

I love all the rich colors and your granite counter.

Just beautiful.

*hugs*

mo

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails