Wednesday, November 23, 2011

{Getting Crafty} Last Minute Thanksgiving Mantel

As if hosting Thanksgiving wasn't enough, I added a craft project to my 'to-do' list over the weekend.
I was inspired by this stunning mantel.
I wanted to make my own version and figured it would be thrifty and quick.
 I bought some Dollar Store pumpkins and gourds.  The pickin's were slim so I couldn't do all pumpkins and some were textured, some were smooth.
 The weather was warm on Sunday and good for spray painting so I pulled out my favorite Heirloom White and started spraying away.
 They needed a few coats.
 I had to dry them in the garage on Monday because it was getting rainy out (and time was running out!)
 I picked up these polka dot stickers at Michaels. Of course they didn't stick to the rounded shapes too well so I secured them with some hot glue.
The banner was super easy. I cut triangles out of leftover burlap and the Tween stuck the letters right on (no hot glue needed) the fabric.  I strung them together with some twine and hung them on the frame (already on my mantel) with some masking tape on the back.  It was the Tween's idea to use the star to dot the "i". 
Love it!
It's just what my mantel needed for Thanksgiving..and just in time!

Have you been inspired to recreate a project you've admired?
Linking up with:
Pin It

11 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

VERY NICE!

Michele Alger said...

It turned out beautifully! Great job! I love how spray painting things seems easier, and it is...on some things.
It was worth it! ;)

I'm Genny... said...

Oh I love that! I am so glad you stopped by so I could discover your beautiful site. I am definitely not crafty, but when I see things broken down like this, it makes me think I could do it... thanks! Have a beautiful Thanksgiving!

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Great site!!

Thanks for enjoying my South Philly painting!

Shaunna said...

Love white pumpkins! Love this idea!

Celestial Charms said...

Beautiful! Worth every minute it took to make, I'm sure.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Maureen

Bird in a Tree Creations said...

Love that idea. So simple and elegant. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! -Kelly

simply brookes: said...

in love with white. great simple idea...and easy. thanks for sharing. love the blog.

Smart! School {House} said...

So beautiful! I always love swinging by to say, “Hello from Whimsy Wednesday!” Thank you for partying with us!
Kelly,
Smart! School {House}
http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse
www.smartschoolhouse.com

Rebekah Schwind said...

I've always admired that mantel and you recreated it beautifully! Love it!

Rebekah @ Charming Imperfections

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

Heather- These pumpkins and gourds look great! laura

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails