Wednesday, March 22, 2017

{Recipe} Cauliflower Colcannon-Vegan, Oil Free

I was introduced to colcannon when our friends brought it to Irish Night one year and we've requested it for every Irish Night since.  Traditionally it's a decadent, creamy mashed potato and kale or cabbage dish with lots of butter.  I've had a lot of luck with cauliflower mashed potatoes lately and got the awesome idea to try and make colcannon with them instead of potatoes.  My version uses a combination of kale and coleslaw mix with the cauliflower because that's what I had on hand.  I didn't use any oil or butter and it still came out creamy and flavorful.  Give it a try if you want a healthier alternative to traditional colcannon or if you're a fan of cauliflower, cabbage and kale like me!

Cauliflower Colcannon
Ingredients:
1 med-large head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
 4 cups chopped greens (kale and/or cabbage) *I used 3 cups of chopped kale, 1 cup of coleslaw mix
3 leeks, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
To make:
Boil cauliflower in medium sized pot until tender (or steam in microwave).  In a skillet over medium heat, add a little water (or optional oil) and sauté leeks with garlic, being careful not to brown the garlic.  Add kale and/or cabbage and cook until tender.
Meanwhile, process cooked cauliflower in a high speed blender or food processor until smooth (you can add some dairy free milk if it needs a little to get it going). 
Combine mashed cauliflower with kale/leek mixture in a bowl and stir well.  Season with salt & pepper to taste.  Pour into an oven safe dish. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
This is how it looks before it goes into the oven.
Serve with some veggie sausage links for a traditional Irish meal.
Let's Keep In Touch!


Pin It

6 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I've never heard of this dish before but it looks absolutely delicious! I love the fact that you lightened it up and made it vegan! We will have to try it, it looks yummy!

Tamar SB said...

Oooo yummy!!!

Carla from The River said...

Oh my! That looks and sounds delish!!!

Creations By Cindy said...

This looks so good. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Clairejustine oxox said...

This looks tasty Heather. I would love to try some :) Thanks for sharing at The Wednesday blog hop.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I've made a vegan Colcannon Irish potatoes with cabbage but have to give cauliflower a try! (My version did have olive oil in it - not oil-free like yours)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails