Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Diaper Cake

Our first diaper cake.
 I say "our" because my older daughter actually put it together and I was her helper.
We were having a little book club baby shower for one of our members, so it was the perfect time to try to make one.
Here's what we used to make it. 
2 packs of newborn diaper (30/each)
2 baby bottles - one 8 oz and one 4 oz
clear tiny hair elastics
regular rubber bands
double sided tape
decorative ribbon
cardboard for the base
silk flowers (optional)
candy (I used pretzel M & M's)
I followed this tutorial
and used these adorable newborn diapers.
Roll each diaper from the open end and secure with a clear hair elastic.
Once they are all rolled up, you can assemble the 'cake'.
A baby bottle can go in the center of the cake and we filled it with pretzel M & M's as a sweet treat for the mom-to-be.
Start by attaching the rolled diapers around the baby bottle and securing with a rubber band.
This would be your first layer and then you add more diapers around that layer to make it larger.

We decided to switch out the smaller baby bottle for the bottom layer because it worked better for us. Fill that up with M & M's too.
This is the 4 ounce baby bottle surrounded by the diapers, making up the bottom layer.
The second and third layers were constructed the same way with the 8 ounce bottle in the center and then placed on top of the bottom layer.
Wrap ribbon around the the layers to hide the rubber bands.
I covered some cardboard in wrapping paper to make the cake plate.
(this is the bottom).
 I had some silk sunflowers left over from this party so we used them to embellish the cake.
To secure the cake to the cardboard base, we used double sided tape.
We finished off with a few more flowers. You can also leave the top bottle empty and use it like a vase for flowers coming out of the top.
I loved it for our fall baby shower.
Obviously I couldn't leave well enough alone, and added a little bow and some more greenery at the top as well as some baby blocks that I had from some thrifting adventure.
 A close up of the cake topper.
 We set it on a cake pedestal for it's final presentation at the shower.
The diapers can all be used after the cake is disassembled so it's decorative and practical gift.
Linking up with:
project 64
Making The World Cuter Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Craftastic Monday
What I Whipped Up Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Hump Day Hop
Alphabe-Thursday Fall Break
Tuesday Top Ten
Feature Yourself Friday
Show & Tell
A Beach Cottage
Weekend Wrap Up
Saturday Is Craft Day
Free For All
Once Upon a Weekend
CSH Thursday
Sundae Scoop
More The Merrier Monday
Pin It

29 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

How adorable Heather! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Love the Sunflowers you used.

Scrappy Grams said...

gorgeous idea! and...so practical.

Jenny said...

Beautiful Fall colors - love the "presentation" with the blocks!

camp and cottage living said...

This is adorable, Heather. I always wondered how one was made. And I love the added fall touches to it!

Lisa said...

It turned out great! Love the Autumn theme. Diaper wreaths are fun to make as well.

Mary said...

Love your diaper cake, the autumn theme was great!

Kerri @OhMann! said...

super super cute!!

Vicki/Jake said...

WOW! Almost makes me want to be a new mommie again! Ummm, Naw. But what a cute gift:)

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Heather,
How totally adorable!!! I love your cake!!!

XO
Cindy

Lola said...

Great post!

Have a great weekend too & look forward to *seeing* you again next time,

Alphabe-Thursday

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is so pretty! I love the flowers!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This is so pretty! I love the flowers!

Karen S. said...

What could be more lovely than these stunning fall like colors? A baby shower! How very awesome! Happiness surrounds you in so many ways!

Sue said...

Cute idea!

=)

anitamombanita said...

I love that you combined the diaper cake with the fall colors. Love it. It's sooo cute!

Judie said...

What a wonderful idea for a baby shower!!!!

Jessabells said...

Looks great! I have never made one before but it looks easy to do. I'll have to think about that if anyone ever has a baby. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica

Annesphamily said...

I am obsessed with diaper cakes! My hubby and I are a two person team! This is so unique! I love it! I made a princess cake for my niece Ari and a jungle theme for our great grad Jayden! Sweet! Enjoy the weekend

Pondside said...

This is so cute. We're into bridal showers these days, but give it a couple of years and I'm sure I'll be making these.

Amy said...

So cute and seasonal! Diaper cakes are so much fun! Would you share yours here?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/csh-thursday-link-party.html

June Scott said...

Great tutorial, Heather! Love the blocks on the cake "stand" and the sunflowers - just great!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heather, that was a lot of work and it turned out too cute. Thanks for joining Wow.

Jamie said...

Beautiful!! I would love for you to stop by and link up your diaper cake to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

Heather! This is soooo cool. I've never seen it done in these colors but it is glorious!

I suspect it will be the hit of the shower!

What a lovely centerpiece and collaborative work by you and your daughter!

Love it!

Thanks for sharing your creative mojo with us!

A+

Jenny said...

I love this! Yours came out so good! I always wanted to make these and didn't know how! Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up to "Make It Monday!"

Angela (Toucan Scraps) said...

looks wonderful

Kelly said...

This is great! I am hosting a small shower in a couple of weeks and this will be great to go along with my fall decor so I don't have to do too much other decorating! Thanks for sharing!

Isabelle Thornton said...

Thank you so much for linking up this to Everything baby!
Your tutorial is the best!
This is such a must know for a baby shower!
Thanks again!
Isabelle
http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/

liz said...

Your flower cake looks so pretty!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails