Friday, November 2, 2012

Costume (and other) Thrifting

My daughter and her friends decided to dress up as Alice In Wonderland characters this year.
 Can you guess who she is? (Hint: I'm late, I'm late...)
I found some inspiration on Pinterest and we hit up the thrift stores.
You can see my inspiration board here.
Our first stop was Goodwill and we lucked out.
Isaac Mizrahi for Target navy blazer (she's already worn this a few times!)
Gap grey wool skirt
Menswear grey pinstriped vest
She also found floral wedges and a white linen blouse (not pictured).
I found the ears and tail at Charlotte Russe but ended up returning them when we found 'better ears'.
The next stop was another local thrift shop
Didn't it look festive with all of the pumpkins and corn stalks out front?
We were looking for a bow tie or fabric to make one, ears and clock or pocket watch.
She found the ears right away for .25c! Yay!
She was torn between two clocks (the one above in the photo with the bunny on it and this one)
This one definitely looked more like the look she was going for but it was heavy crystal and not very practical.   We decided that she could change out the design of the bunny clock to something more traditional like this (so I snapped a photo for reference).
We also picked up this shirt for bow tie material.
Yes it's from Talbots and too cute to cut, but cut I did.
The only new item we purchased was a pair of socks from Hot Topic.
I hope she can actually wear this costume so I can share a photo with you.
School has been out all week due to the power outages caused by the storm and Halloween was also postponed until Saturday.  So here's hoping...
If not, she can wear it next year!
edit..here she is!
In other thrifting news, I found this awesome globe to add to my collection.
Sorry about the dark cell phone photo.
I also found an Ann Taylor down coat. Sweet!!
What have you been thrifting lately?

Linking up with:

Pin It

6 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Oh you lucky girls...you hit some major scores!
I have not been to the thrift shop for so long...My DH has been lloking after me since my back surgery...he is doing everything...cooking, cleaning, shopping, helping me bath (and more) etc.

I am dying to get out to thrift shop but just can't ask him to take me there..he is already taking me to the scrapbook stores and Michaels...a girl can only push a guy so far!!!! teehee
That white rabbit outfit is fabulous...bet she looked great!

My best friend, who I usually thrift with is in australia for a few months...her daughter married an Autralian...when she returns...garage sales and thrift shops, here we come.

Life in Rehab said...

Savannah made a "pocket watch" for her White Rabbit costume a couple years ago...it's a shame I didn't know what you were up to! LOVE the outfit though, and what a steal on those ears!

Katie said...

This costume is awesome!! I love the clock that you took a picture of, but it definitely looks too big to carry around all day!

I hope she gets a chance to wear her costume. It is such a fun one. Even if she just tries it on for a photo shoot :)

The globe is very cool too! You got a ton of great stuff thrifting!

Bliss said...

I have started a bin of stuff that I have been "thrifting" because I don't know what to do with it when I get it home.

Bliss

gena said...

Thanks for stopping by The House on Lavender Hill! I love this costume idea - too cute!

We STILL don't have power here in Northern NJ and it will probably be at least another week according to PSE&G. Hopefully the nor'easter that's coming midweek won't add to the debacle!

I'm off to peruse your blog- happy Sunday!

gena

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Wow, what fabulous finds and her costume turned out perfect. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails