Tuesday, November 13, 2012

{Recipe}Chocolate Mousse Cake

The recipe we used for this cake is technically a pie but since it was for a this party, we're most definitely calling it a birthday cake.
 Of course the birthday girl wanted to make it herself.
Here's what you'll need:
For the crust: 
21 chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
1/4 cup of butter at room temp, cut into pieces
For the mousse:
12 ounces of semi sweet chocolate (we used chips)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 3/4 cups of chilled heavy whipping cream
pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
 To make the crust, process the cookies in a food processor
Add the butter and process until the mixture is evenly moistened.
 Coat a 9 inch spring form pan with butter. We used wax paper and buttered both sides, making sure the bottom and sides were well greased.
 Pour crumb mixture into prepared pan
 Press down with the back of a cup to even it out and bake for 5 minutes in a 350F oven.
Let cool on wire rack.
 For the mousse, combine chocolate, salt and vanilla in food processor
 Bring 1 cup of cream to a boil on the stove.
 With the processor running, gradually pour the cream into the feed tube (I did this part)
 until chocolate is melted and smooth
Transfer chocolate mixture to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
 

Beat 2 cups of heavy cream with sugar in large bowl to stiff peaks. 
 

Fold whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
Pour into prepared crust and chill for 6 hours until set or overnight.
This is how it looked after it came out of the spring form pan. I kept it in the fridge until it was time to decorate it (just before the party) and then kept it in the fridge until serving.
 When ready to serve, whip the remaining 3/4 cup of cream and decorate the top of the cake. 
Add chocolate shavings or crushed cookies.
This said it served 8 but we got about 13 servings out of it and probably could have gotten more if I had cut even smaller pieces.   It was extremely rich and decadent and smaller servings would have easily sufficed.
Are you a traditional birthday cake kind of person or do you like to have something different like this mousse cake/pie?

Linking up with:

Pin It

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful cake! I will have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Um, this looks amazing! It is no fair to show such delicious desserts on my Weight Watchers weigh in day!!

I am not a cake person. Even for my birthday. I always had an ice cream cake as a kid. Apple pie and flourless chocolate cake have also made appearances on my birthday table :)

I think this would be perfect for a birthday celebration! Maybe for AJ's 25th next month...

Dawn said...

Mmm! Looks good!

Bliss said...

I let the kids pick their sweet on their birthday. With six kids I'd say it's split equally between cake and cheesecake, but I wish one of them would pick pic! And more chocolate.

Bliss

Michele Cole said...

My husband would love this! He loves all things chocolate. I am pinning it to make for him.

Michele @ Better Organized Living

Earning-My-Cape said...

Mmmm! Looks yummy! I pinned it! :-)

Katherines Corner said...

taa daa and yum! Happy birthday to your official teenager. My husband likes pie and I am sugar free, so I take whatever I am in the mood to make, LOL xo

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails