Saturday, June 11, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote

Have you ever had rhubarb? It used to grow wild in the woods behind my parents house but I never ate it back then (probably because we weren't supposed to eat things we found back there (except blackberries). I buy it now when I find it at my local farm store and it's in season.  
It signals that Spring/early Summer is here!
I think Rhubarb looks like red celery and is kind of bitter on its own.
But cooked up with a little sugar and paired with strawberries, it's delicious!  I've made it into a crisp but this time I wanted something a little lighter.
I used this recipe to make Strawberry Rhubarb Compote but it called for honey and my bear was full of solidified honey so I used plain white sugar.

You could make it even lighter with Splenda or Truvia if you wanted to.
Chop up the rhubarb and quarter the strawberries, add them, the 2 TBS of sugar (or honey) and 1 TBS of water to pot and bring to a boil .
Turn down the heat and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. 
Serve over peach ice cream or yogurt.
or eat right out of the pot
It's yummy cold too.
I found these silver rimmed glasses at a thrift store in Cape Cod years ago.
Looking for another scrumptious summer recipe? Try this Lemonade Ice cream Dessert. I made it last year and I just got a request to make it again for my daughter next week.

Enjoy!
Pin It

6 comments:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

My father in law would love this recipe...I am going to have to bookmark it for later! Thanks for sharing. Your pictures are beautiful as always!

Love Of Quilts said...

All Looks so good I'm going to the kitchen and fine me something to eat...I have never in my life ate ruhbarb. The Ice cream dessert is what made me want something sweet. Trish

Pam - diy Design Fanatic said...

My dad always took me to a diner that had rhubarb pie..it was his favorite! I was always too chicken to try it!

KAT said...

my fathers favorite pie is rhubarb/strawberry! I plan to make one for him soon
KAT

Jenny said...

I love rhubarb. I wish it grew here in Arizona.

Amanda-The Sweet Details said...

Oh yum, this looks great! Thanks for sharing this at Savory Sundays!!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails